Chapter 24

When Nightheart woke up she wasn't in the warrior den, her fur stood on end and she could smell the rotting trees of the Dark Forest. She dug her claws into the rotting soil. She hadn't been to this miserable place since her fight with Falconheart, she had made her feelings about this forest and Thornstar very clear.

"Why am I back here?" Nightheart demanded, shouting into the shadows. "Show yourself, Thornstar." She growled. Sure enough, the former AshClan leader stepped out of the trees.

"It's good to see you too, Nightheart." Thornstar flicked his tail. "I thought you'd be happier to be back here, it's been far too long since your last training session."

"You mean after you almost made Falconheart kill me?" Nightheart lashed her tail and flattened her ears, baring her teeth.

"No," Thornstar sat down. "That was Falconclaw's idea, not mine. He was always eager to show up those around him. I want us to return to the old training sessions, just you and me."

"Not happening." Nightheart said sternly. "I'm done with the Dark Forest, I'm done with this training and I'm done with you."

"Is that what you think?" Thornstar took a threatening step forward. "You really think it's that easy?" Nightheart tensed, she braced herself for a possible attack. She didn't like the way that Thornstar was talking. "I helped make you the warrior that you are today, it's because of me that you're as talented and brave as you are. I certainly did more than that other mentor of yours."

Nightheart's fur bristled. "Don't you dare talk about Wheatwhisker like that! He taught me more than you ever could."

"Oh really? That's why you know techniques that only I taught you, techniques that have saved lives and won fights."

Nightheart shook her head. "Shut up! I told you that I'm done with the Dark Forest, I won't be coming back here." She closed her eyes, willing herself to be out of the disgusting, rotting and lifeless forest.

"Well if that's what you really want," Thornstar sighed, Nightheart ignored him. "I suppose I could just find a new apprentice...Rabbitspring seems like a good choice."

Nightheart opened her eyes, a new rage filling her entire body to the brink. "Don't you dare go near Rabbitspring."

"What if I do?" Thornstar challenged.

"I will rip your pelt apart." Nightheart's voice dropped low. "I don't know if you can die again but I can promise you that I'll try my best to make it happen."

"For a cat who is afraid of killing other cats, that's a pretty dark threat." Thornstar's eyes glinted.

"You're not a cat, not anymore. You're a nightmare at best, you ruined my Clan, you lied to make and you took endless lives." Nightheart raked her claws across the ground. "You are a tick on the back of AshClan, and I will make sure you're removed."

"But how will you stop me? What will you did if I'm Rabbitspring's dreams? You can't get to her, and you'll be asleep and you'll never know until...it's too late."

Nightheart gave a fierce yowl and charged forward. Thornstar crossed a line, he knows how I feel about her! She tackled Thornstar to the ground and raked her claws down his pelt as hard as she possibly could, making his blood splatter against the decaying forest floor. "If you touch one hair on her pelt, I will kill you!"
Thornstar dug his claws into Nightheart and threw her off, he charged after her as she landed but Nightheart was back on her paws before he reached her. She jumped forward and leapt over him, landing on his back. She kicked him as hard as she could in the back of his neck, making his body crumble.