Chapter 22

"Is that all you caught?" Brackenpelt questioned, looking at Falconheart's two skinny squirrels. "Honestly, Falconheart I thought you were a great hunter."

"It was slow." Falconheart explained, completely avoiding Sedgefern who had returned just before him.

"Also I thought I told you two to hunt together?" Brackenpelt looked over the two warriors. "Did something happen?"

"Nothing happened." Sedgefern spoke before Falconheart. "We just decided to go to two different spots to cover more ground." She had caught more than him, but only by one extra squirrel.

"At least you two got something." Brackenpelt was clearly annoyed, but the other three had caught enough prey to make-up for Falconheart's failure. The patrol headed back towards camp, Sedgefern walked near Earthpelt at the front of the patrol and Falconheart stayed alone in the back.

I should get used to this. Falconheart thought, his heart twisting painfully. He watched Sedgefern, she wasn't talking either, but she certainly wasn't acknowledging his presence. Why did I have to ruin things with her? He shook his head, now wasn't the time for fussing over Sedgefern. He had a much bigger plan in mind for later tonight.

He would return to the Dark Forest and challenge Falconclaw, it was his fault that Falconheart had been turned into such a violent cat. He made me into a killer, and I'm going to make him pay. That's when Falconheart got a curious question floating through his mind. Can you kill a cat that's already dead?

Falconheart continued on with his day, doing whatever duties he needed to around camp until it was time to rest for the night. He did his best to ignore the hateful glares from Sedgefern, and curled up in his nest; which was no longer beside hers. She had moved in between him and Petalbreeze.

Falconheart closed his eyes, wishing to wake up in the Dark Forest. He slowed his breath and focused on where he wanted to be. After what seemed like an eternity, Falconheart slipped into sleep.

For a while, it was only darkness. He saw flashes of blood and terrible scenes from the battle, but when he opened his eyes he wasn't in the warrior's den, he was in the Dark Forest. Falconheart took a deep breath. Finally. He puffed out his chest, trying to make himself look big. He flexed his claws, preparing for a fight. "Falconclaw!" He shouted, his voice echoing through the dead trees.

"My dear, Falconheart." The low voice of Falconclaw spoke from a distance away, and the dark tabby stepped out of the shadows. "Its been a while, hasn't it."

"I'm surprised you didn't drag me to this dead wasteland sooner." Falconheart raised his lip at his shadowy mentor.

"I wanted to let you recover after your victory." Falconclaw sat down, resting his tail across his paws. "I assume that's what you wanted to talk about, yes?"

"It wasn't a victory!" Falconheart spat. "I took another warrior's life, I don't consider that a win."

"AshClan retreated from their attack, leaving SunClan on top. That's how victories work." Falconclaw's tone grew an edge to it, he twitched his ears.

"Dawnstar lost a life and AshClan lost their deputy, I don't call that a victory for either side."

"Why are you so upset over Ashblaze's death anyway?" Falconclaw questioned, narrowing his deep amber eyes. "You defended your mother."

"I killed another cat!" Falconheart shouted. "I'm not a killer! I'm not like you!" He lashed his tail, claws ripping at the rotten forest floor beneath his paws.