Chapter 25

Honeyfrost clawed the comfrey root out of the muddy soil, covering her white paws with thick mud. She picked up her bundle of roots off the ground and started to head back towards camp. Rain poured overhead with thick, dark clouds covering the sun and leaving the forest in a dreary light. Honeyfrost hated the rain, but her mind was too clogged with other thoughts for her to really care about her muddy paws or soaked pelt.

Her mind constantly shifted from Snakewhisker to Blackstorm, both cats bringing horrible pain to her heart and chest. She wished that she could talk to Snakewhisker about Blackstorm, she knew he would understand. Whenever she thought of Blackstorm she could feel her heart break every single time. She hadn't seen him since Pebblestep caught the two of them, nearly ten sunrises ago.

She didn't know what to do, she wanted to see him again but now that Pebblestep knew, it was incredibly dangerous. She didn't want to get Blackstorm in trouble, but at the same time she would give anything just to see him again. Her mind was constantly a storm of pain and heartache swirling in her head, and she couldn't clear it.

Honeyfrost reached camp with her comfrey root and took it to the medicine cat den, wiping her paws on the stone outside before stepping inside. She saw Pebblestep inside, sorting herbs and looking worried. While she was out, Honeyfrost had forgotten that she never told Pebblestep she was going out to collect herbs.

As Honeyfrost stepped inside, Pebblestep looked up, relief flooding her eyes as she jumped to her paws. "There you are!" She mewed with exasperation and ran up to Honeyfrost. "I was wondering where you went, when I woke up you were gone I was worried you had gone back to Blackstorm."

Honeyfrost winced slightly. "No, I just went to collect some comfrey root." She nudged the roots with her paw. "We were running low."

"But it's pouring out there, you're going to give yourself a cold." Pebblestep argued. "You can't just go parading around in the rain like this."
"Sorry." Was the only word Honeyfrost could find, she didn't really care if she got sick right now. She picked up the comfrey root and put it in their herb store. She heard a sad sigh from behind her and Honeyfrost felt guilt creeping in on her. I'm upsetting Pebblestep. Honeyfrost thought, sitting down in her nest. I'm making this whole situation worse for everyone.

"I know you're upset about Blackstorm, Honeyfrost." Pebblestep sat down beside Honeyfrost, but Honeyfrost refused to look at her mentor, she let out a heavy sigh and stared down at her paws.

"I can't focus on anything else, and along with Snakewhisker's death I just...can't clear my head." She closed her eyes, seeing only Snakewhisker and Blackstorm.

"Maybe you should take a trip to the Spirit Garden." Pebblestep suggested. Honeyfrost looked up in confusion.

"You want me to go to the Spirit Garden? Why?" Honeyfrost didn't know what going to the Spirit Garden would do for her.

"You can seek guidance from StarClan, that's what I did after Poppyfur died. I made a trip to the Moonstone to seek help, her death had been such a shock that I could barely focus on my duties. I travelled there alone and was able to talk to Poppyfur, she helped me and I was able to become the medicine cat I am today, even in death."

Honeyfrost sighed. "It's worth a shot, but I don't know how many medicine cats will want to talk to me. I broke the medicine cat code."

"You're not the only medicine cat to do it, and you certainly won't be the last." Pebblestep rested her tail across Honeyfrost's shoulders. "On the next day we have without too much rain, you should take a journey. I promise it will clear your mind."

Honeyfrost looked up at the sky, it was early morning with only a few traces of clouds. It had been two days since Pebblestep suggested she go to the Spirit Garden for guidance and the rain was finally starting to clear up a little.