Chapter 23

Nightheart stretched out in the sun, small patch of sunlight that remaind in camp, shining between the darker clouds above. It wasn't long before rain was drenching the forest and she wanted to enjoy as much sunlight as she could before that happened. Most AshClan cats were preparing for the upcoming storm, hunting and reinforcing dens to make sure they could handle any amount of rain that fell.

AshClan had fallen back onto a slight sense of normalcy since Ashblaze's death, but there was still a dark shadow that clung to the hearts of most AshClan cats, especially Silvermoon. She was working hard to care of her kits, but every cat in the Clan knew that she was struggling, and probably would for a very long time. Nightheart had never lost someone close to her, but she assumed that you never really stopped missing fallen loved ones, you just find a way to live without them.

"Nightheart!" At the call of her name, Nightheart lifted her head and looked for the source. It came from Stormheart who stood in front of Riverstar's den. "Go out hunting with Lilyclaw, Rabbitspring and Primroseheart. The patrol that's out now should be returning soon, I want as much prey in this camp as possible before the rain hits."

Nightheart gave the new deputy a nod and stood up, quickly missing the patch of sunlight she had made her own. She looked around the camp for the cats she was supposed to hunting with. Lilyclaw was visiting her granddaughters at the nursery and Rabbitspring and Primroseheart were having a conversation with Dustfall.

Feeling her heart grow light at the sight of Rabbitspring, Nightheart quickly trotted across camp to the others. "Rabbitspring, Primroseheart." She mewed, getting the attention of the two she-cats. Rabbitspring looked away from her brother towards Nightheart and her eyes instantly softened, making Nightheart's heart skip a beat. "Stormheart wants us and Lilyclaw to go out hunting."

"Alright." Primroseheart stood up. "I'll talk to you later, Dustfall."

"Okay." Dustfall stood up quickly as well, looking somewhat awkward. Nightheart remembered what Rabbitspring had said about Dustfall having a crush on Primroseheart. She had no doubt in her mind about that. I hope I don't act like that around Rabbitspring! Nightheart liked to think she had a lot more composure around Rabbitspring, even if everytime they were together her heart was beating faster than her paws could run.

"Let's grab Lilyclaw and let's head out." Primroseheart mewed, waving her tail at Dustfall as the three she-cats walked away towards the nursery. Once they had pulled Lilyclaw away from Puddleclaw and her kits, the group set out wards the north border.

At Riverstar's orders, the cats of AshClan had been told to be incredibly wary of the SunClan border. They did their best not to be seen by SunClan cats, Riverstar didn't want another fight to break out.

Nightheart wondered how long it would last, AshClan couldn't hide from SunClan forever, they would have to go to gatherings and eventually two patrols would run into each other. The whole battle had left a sour taste on Nightheart's tongue, she constantly thought about how SunClan accused AshClan stealing prey, but AshClan had accused them first. I know what I saw. Nightheart reminded herself constantly, but Dawnstar just didn't seem like a liar. Dawnstar was a good cat, she was brave and kind and loyal to her Clan. Unlike her kits. Dawnstar snorted, thinking of the violent Falconheart and Honeyfrost who broke both the medicine cat and warrior codes to be with Blackstorm.

Anger rose up inside Nightheart once more as she thought about those two, she had to force it to the back of her mind so she could focus on hunting. "You doing alright, Nightheart?" Rabbitspring spoke closely beside her. "You look tense, and you haven't spoken much since we headed out."

"I'm fine." Nightheart assured Rabbitspring purred, then stopped walking. She looked around the forest and breathed in the air. "We could probably split up now." She stated. "Lilyclaw and Primroseheart, you two go hunt near the base of the mountain, Rabbitspring and I will head towards the border."