Chapter 4

I sat on a rock as i carefully wrote down in my journal.My mind was all too destructed i did not realise Chris was standing right next to me observing me carefully.He coughed.I was startled."Oh hie"i said fixing my glasses."Would it be rude if i asked your age?"he said hands in his pockets."Im 25,why?"."A young woman unafraid to explore the world.Whats the drive behind that"he asked me.Was he asking my life story.Why i was here?If i didnt have better things to do?.Maybe go out there and date and actually have a life.This was my life."Well ive always felt drawn to the earths mysteries and it was only fair that i satisfy my curiosity by researching stuff."I said.He licked his lips.His plump and perfect lips.For a moment i felt a shiver down my spine.He noticed me looking at him lustfully.He gulped nervously."Umm what would you like to do next?"he said with a shaky voice.Realising i had created an awkward moment i closed my journal first."I would like to speak to an elderly person.Their stories are usually descriptive and i wouldnt mind some wise words too"i said.He offered me his hand.I took it and stood up.Boy was he strong.I could imagine what he would do to me with those strong arms wrapped around me."Well Aki will go with you to Marzis place.He has both knowledge and wisdom.In the meantime i will go and see if my wife is okay"he said clearly trying to let me know that he was not open to this lustful business i was into.My heart broke a little."Okay its fine"i said weakly as we walked back.I was more than glad when Chris left and me and Akiliz set off for Marzis place."So tell me more about this place.Everyone seems happy and settled"I said.Akiliz sighed."This place has a mind of its own.The people are happy yes but its like they are controlled.Whatever it is controls them.Its only when youve left and come back like me that you realise its not really what it seems.Even in the daylight something is lurking.Its evil Coriel.All of these people need help but they dont even know it"he said.I understood him.Maybe he wasnt trying to exploit his people .He was trying to enlighten them.Get them some help.But how would you defeat ancient evil?.It was impossible."Where are your parents if you dont mind me asking".He looked at me and pointed towards the hut as if to say your answers to your questions lie before you.

"We dont bury our people here.When our people get sick they can feel that the water is calling them.We escort them to the cave of the mamiwatha.Leave them.No one knows what happens but we believe she takes them.Takes their misery to a land underwater and they start a new life.After a few days here we start mourning."Marzi said filling his pipe with a brown powder i assumed to be nicotine.He was an old and frail looking man with wrinkles covering a greater part of his face.I had noted the fish smell coming from either his body or his sorroundings when i first entered the hut.He sat legs crossed on a little carpet and i imagined he never left that position often,he looked too comfortable."No one has ever returned?"i asked getting more curious by the minute."He has"Akiliz said.Marzi nodded."I remember it like it was yesterday.I had caught the bird flue and to save the others they had sent me to the cave.I wandered into the darkness sure of my own death.A few minutes in i saw a beautiful shiny light and i followed it and there she was.The most beautiful creature i had ever seen.Her hair was long and golden and her fingers were glowing.She did not speak to me.I floated right into her arms.She fed me"he said his eyes glaring into the distance."What did she feed you?What was she?"i asked."She was the mamiwatha of course.She fed me things from underwater.Raw fish and worms and mud.i was too taken by her builty".Of course the mamiwatha.I had read about it.It was a water spirit with the body of a woman but the tail of a fish.How was this possibly.Wasnt this old man delusional as to pass on some fantasies to the young generation and give them something to believe in.Did such things exist."How did you come back sir"i asked."I could not tell if it was day or night.People said i was gone for months.I remember feeling better and waking up on the beach.No one else has returned but people are hopeful.My life hasnt been the same.Mind you,this was 90 years ago"he said."What?"i asked shocked.This man was over a hundred.Had the creature given his immortality."I have to go and feed my chickens.Young one listen well.You are here for a purpose.Her purpose.Tread carefully."he said before getting up and walking out.Akiliz and i looked at each other."I think thats all for today dont you think?"i asked.He nodded.

End of chapter