Chapter 12

I sniffed as the cold air hit my nose.We had been silently following the trail which was supposedly leading to the mermaid cave.Akil was walking in front of us.He had been quiet the whole time.His silence accusing us.Chris grabbed my hand, startling me.I almost jumped."Hey hey.Are you okay?."he asked me.I swallowed hard."Im not."i responded."You know all this is not your fault right.You didnt bring this curse to this island."he said."No but i brought myself into your lives and look at everything thats happening"I told him."Akil wanted to rip you off on this story.He was too close to home to find out stuff and take it to the world.He was using you to sell this story"Chris said."What?"I was shocked.Its a pity he brought Uma into this too.If anyone should be blamed for all of this mess.Its Akiliz."Chris said.I shook my head."Im sure he didnt mean for it to go so far."I said.I looked ahead.Akiliz was not in sight anymore.The air was getting foggy and i could sense we were not alone anymore."Were is he"I said.Chris looked around and put his finger on his mouth to silence me.There was an eerie silence.The only sound was that of our hearts beating uncontrollably because of the fear of what lay ahead of us..or around us.I screamed as i felt tiny piercing slaps all over my body.Something was hitting me.I opened my eyes as i tried to run.I could see in a blurr Chris trying to fight off the invisible beings."Chris...help me"my voice faded.Everything was still again.Everything was dark and quiet, as if i had seized to exist.As if I had died.

"The world will be a lonely place if you believe that your only true purpose is breathing.Seize to breathe Hazel.Live like an angel.Follow your dreams.Dare to dream things into this world.Fall in love.Get broken.Mend and restore the power thats within you.You are who you wail yourself to be.Youre otherworldly.Believe it and youll see it."my mother said to a ten year old me as she did my hair.Of course i never understood what this mearnt.I played with my dolls.

I opened my eyes to the sound of a voice humming.I looked around me.I was in a dark cave.A little light came from above that illuminated the cave a little.I could see a pool glistening in the light.The humming.I looked around.There was no one.I heard whimpers.I was shaking uncontrollably."Hazel"a voice said.I was quiet."Hazel help me".It said again.It was Chris.At the corner of the cave Chris lay there unable to move.I rushed over to him and right before i could lay down to help him a force knocked me into the air with such force and i fell right were i had started.I could feel my body shut down from the pain of the hard surface.There it was coming up from under the water.It was a serpent woman.Her snakelike skin changed to human as she proceeded to come out of the water."Have you come to save your friends Hazel.Or you have come to prove my existence."it said to me.Its mouth did not move.I had heard its thoughts."Im scared"I thought to myself.It sneered as it moved closer to me."You should be scared.No mortal has ever wondered this far and lived to tell the story."It continued the telepathy.I froze in terror as i could feel the coldness of its presence.The fishy smell.Its dripping body.I wanted to die."Bargain for you life"it said.I trembled."Ssssave my friends."i spoke out loud."The power that i hold and the things i could do for you and all you ask is the life of these mortals.Strangers to you.Why are you so trusting."it said turning to face Chris.His body got up and stood still.His arms started swirling around inhumanly and his head exploded exposing a fish head.I screamed.This wasnt real."You think everything is what you think it is."It said hovering towards what was left of Chris.It sunk its claws into his belly and instead of blood coming out hundreds of pearls oozed out.She was messing with my head."what are you.why are you doing this"i screamed.I got up and started running.She laughed hysterically her voice echoing in the cave walls.I could see light.I was close to the exit.I ran fast as i felt something follow me.I stopped.It was not an exit.It was a whole world.I was ............ I was underwater."You cant run from home.Hazel"She said."Am i dead?"I asked.I turned back and looked at it.Its tail was glittering in the light.It was beautiful."I have chosen you Hazel.All this can be yours.The world can be yours."It said sounding more human now."Why have you chosen me"i asked."Hazel the world up there is a different world.I have kept this world safe and away from mortals.Our magic is dying because the legend is coming to light.Look at the world up there.People have stopped believing.Instead they seek answers.They want to know more but that knowledge is not power.That knowledge will kill a race.I want you to preserve our magic.To preserve the power i put inside you as a little child.Thats not yours to take to the world.Its yours to keep."she said.I looked around.The land before me was magestic.Crystal buldings sparkled from a near distance.It was a land not even dreams could create.It was beautiful."Its beautiful"i said taken back ."It is."She said to me.She raised her claws and grabbed me by the throat.I tried to break free.I was running out of air.I saw her smiling.Like she had before.Everything was dark again.

End of chapter