Chapter One

Chapter One:

~ Brielle's POV ~

My eyes flashed open and bright light was blurring my vision, I rubbed my eyes and sat up, wincing at the pain that lingered from the night before. My pillow had dry blood and tears staining it, I looked at my wrist, and the wound was closed, but certainly noticeable, I would have to hide that later.

Even through all the pain I was experiencing, I smiled; I smiled wider than I ever have before. Today’s my eighteenth birthday, meaning I was a legal adult, I was free to leave. I had originally planned on going to college, I even had some money saved up, but I gave up on that. The only thing I wanted now was to leave.

I got out of bed and opened my door slowly, listening for signs of my father. I was glad he hadn’t seemed to be around. So I went back into my room and grabbed some clothes; nothing fancy, just a pair of dark skinny jeans and a long sleeve light blue shirt, it was long sleeves to cover up my scars. I went into the bathroom and showered as fast as possible, I was so eager to leave!

When I got out of the shower, I threw on some natural looking make up (yet enough to cover the bruise left on my face), and combed through my wet hair; I usually just let it dry naturally, it was curly and I wasn’t complaining, it made it easier to get ready without styling. Then I grabbed my luggage set from the attic and dragged it into my room. Once I got back in my room, I emptied the contents of my dresser (which wasn’t much) into the biggest bag, along with a pillow and blanket. In the medium sized bag, I placed my makeup and other hygiene products into it. In the smallest bag, which was more like a large purse, I placed my whole jewelry box in, my wallet, a simple prepaid cell phone, and finally my college fund.

I sighed as I pulled the large wad of cash out from under my mattress; I really had wanted to go to college. I had about fifteen thousand dollars saved up, I began working when I was only fourteen, I had two part time jobs… but the majority of the money was from my mother’s life insurance, she had passed away from cancer when I was thirteen years old. My father tried to take the money from me, so I hid it under a floor board near my bed to protect it, up until last night when I moved it with my other savings. The loss of my mother was very difficult for me to deal with I never quite got over it. I didn’t even have my father there for me, he turned to alcohol and began being abusive to me. I became severely depressed and I cut myself for the first time when I turned fourteen and have been doing it ever since then.

I dragged my luggage down the steps and out the door; I hid it in a large bush in my front yard so my father wouldn’t mess with it. I threw the smaller bag over my shoulder and began walking to the used car lot which was about four miles down the road. I didn’t have a car and I would need one to leave, and well, live out of.

It was summer time and the sun was beating on my head, the air was humid and I had wished I was wearing a cooler outfit. I finally got to the lot and began looking around.

“Hello mam, do you need any help?” an older looking man asked me with a smile

I smiled back at him and tried to explain what I was looking for, “Actually I do, I’m looking for a van, something relatively cheap, my only requirement is that it must have a sofa in the back that can turn into a bed, you know, like some of the older modeled vans do.”

“Certainly, miss!” he said with a smile “Right this way!” he led me towards a row of vans (not the working type of vans, more like the vans that looked like over-sized minivans).

I looked at each one until one caught my eye, it was black and large. I slid opened the side door and looked in the back; it was really quite lovely for an old used van. It had a leather sofa that, with the flip of a switch, could be transformed into a full sized bed, a small TV just across from the bed/sofa implanted in the ceiling area, plenty of lights and speakers, storage units in the ceiling behind the sofa that seemed decent sized, and of course normal car features like the driver and passenger seats, steering wheel, etc. etc.

“I like this one, does it work well? How much is it?” I smiled and looked at the man standing behind me.

“Well, little lady, this car is in great condition and the millage is fantastic, the engine was replaced a few years back for a more gas efficient one, the original model was surely a gas guzzler, but now it isn’t so bad. Normally this could be sold for about ten thousand, but for you, nine thousand” he smiled.

Well, that was pretty affordable, and it was enough space for me to live in, “I’ll take it” I said as I extended my hand for him to shake. He shook my hand and got started with the paper work. He seemed pretty surprised when I paid in cash, but he didn’t ask me about it.

I drove off the lot in my new car.

When I reached my house, I grabbed my things from the bush and loaded it in the back of the car. There were a few more things I decided to grab from downstairs, so I went inside once more. It was also a chance for me to say goodbye to the house I had grown up in. I grabbed a plastic shopping bag from under my kitchen cabinet and started to fill it up. I filled the bag with a picture of me and my mother, a few DVDs for the car, three gallons of water, an extra blanket, and some books.

I walked out the door and didn’t look back. My new life was about to start.