Chapter One: The Switch

A/N: Hey ya'll! This story takes place from summer 2017 going into 2018. I chose this time frame because it's after Shayne's break up with his long-term GF and before Courtney and Wahlid broke up (in the spring). I tried to stay as cannon to the time line as possible. I'll be giving time stamps/dates to some of the chapters based on the videos that they reference to give a sense of when everything is taking place.

This first chapter is pretty short but the next few are quite a bit longer. 

It's a cliché author's note, but this is my first fanfiction that I've actually posted somewhere. So be gentle with me! (comments and love are appreciated ❤️

***

<Shayne's POV>

It's getting harder.

I mean I guess it was inevitable. I should have known from the day that we met at our Smosh addition. I guess deep down I did. But it was easier back then. I was with someone, she was too. There was a distance between us.

But it's different now.

I don't know when the switch was flicked, when the feelings started creeping in. Was it summer games? When she supported me, and made me laugh when my world was falling apart? Was it the time we went to get pizza and she dropped it all down her front but ate it all anyways. Was it that night? Or was it just all the little things, the way she throws her head back when she laughs at my stupid jokes. The way she can just spitfire video ideas in our weekly meetings. The way her hair shines in the LA sun.

I know, I'm a cliché at this point. I don't know if I can help it though. She's taken a hold of me, a hold of my heart, and I just can't shake it. All I can do is try to push the feelings down, think of her a friend, and do my job.

"Shayne... Earth to Shayne!"

I was jerked out of my thoughts as Courtney waved her hand in front of my face. She was leaning over my desk, bag in hand and Olivia at her side.

"Wow, you were super zoned out Shayne, Court called your name like three times." Olivia quipped, giving me a strange look. "What were you thinking about?"

I shrugged "Nothing really, just daydreaming I guess, didn't get a lot of sleep." I replied in the most casual voice I could manage.

They seemed to buy it, since Courtney grinned. "Too much Netflix?"

I had mentioned to her earlier about my recent Stranger Things season two binge. "Something like that," I smiled back. "You guys are leaving?"

Courtney nodded. "That's what I was getting your attention for. Me and Liv are heading out. We got most of the EBE script written, and are just gonna finish it off tomorrow. Ian wants it done before the weekend."

"Sounds good, I'm going to head out soon too," I replied leaning back in my rolley chair and stretching my arms above my head. "See you tomorrow stupid."

Courtney gave me a dirty look, swung her bag over her shoulder and grabbed Olivia's arm. With her free hand, she flipped me off good naturedly. As they left the room she shot me a smile and called, "See you tomorrow Frog legs," over her shoulder.

God. How could I not like this girl?