Chapter Twenty-Five: Doing So Well

April 30th, 2018

Since our talk last week, Courtney and I had gone out of our way to be polite to each other. A bit too polite for my taste, if I was being honest. I was trying to listen to Olivia's advice and let Courtney figure things out for herself, but I still wanted her to know that I was there, and that I wasn't going anywhere. Neither were my feelings. However, this morning, I was dealing with Olivia's.

"Only you two would bump into each other in a grocery store and then actually spend the rest of the day together." I said shaking my head in disbelief at her.

"What? That's not how you meet new girls?" She asked me, but realizing what she said, her eyes quickly shot over to Courtney who was working at her desk across the room.

I ignored the potential awkwardness of the question and replied, "Nope, it's just you weirdos."

"So does Sam like, talk to you about me?" Olivia asked seriously, leaning over my desk.

"Um, yeah. Pretty much non-stop." I deadpanned.

"So what's he been saying?" She pressed, with a silly grin on her face. Courtney snorted with laughter from the other side of the room as I learned back in my chair to put some distance between me and the crazy girl who was now practically sitting on top of my desk.

"Oh no, I may be the actual angel who's responsible for you dating Sam Lerner, but I'm definitely not going to act as your go between."

"But Shayneeeee," Olivia whined.

I breathed in and widened my eyes dramatically, staring just past her head. Noah laughed at our antics.

"Uhhhh, you guys are ridiculous." He grinned.

Olivia crossed her arms over her chest sighed, hanging her head.

"Fine, be that way."

I laughed "Oh god, I've gone and offended you, and we were doing so well."

She just huffed at me, arms still crossed over her chest.

Backtracking a bit, I said. "Well I'm glad that you guys are getting along so well. I told you that you would."

"You also told me that we weren't allowed to be friends." She grumbled.

"Well, yeah. I mean you guys were in relationships, and I knew you couldn't be 'just friends' it would be impossible."

The topic of conversation was veering way too close to my current predicament and I stubbornly kept my eyes far away from the blond girl sitting to my left.

"Well fine, you were right, do you want a- like a gold star or something?" Olivia stuttered.

I grinned at her, "Yeah, that'd be great actually."

Without a word, she walked over to the couch, picked up a pillow, and chucked it at me. Laughing, I ducked to dodge it and it sailed past me, hitting Courtney's arm.

"Jeez Olivia." She laughed, picking the pillow up off the floor.

It was as if I could see her internal struggle while holding the pillow in her hand. She looked down at it hesitantly, before a grin came to her lips and she whipped it back over at me. The pillow hit my side and I dramatically fell out of my chair and onto the ground. Courtney burst out in laughter.

"You are soooo dumb Shayne."

I lay in that position for a moment longer to drag out the joke and then moved to sit back up. As I was pulling myself back into my chair, Ryan came in to tell us that they were all ready to start shooting. Today we were using the office to shoot our sketch, Apps we wish were real.