Chapter Eleven: Trick or Treat

October 31st, 2017

It was finally Halloween and I pulled up to where we had all agreed to meet with Keith and Noah in tow. The neighborhood was pretty chill and I knew that a lot of teenagers trick-or-treated around here so we wouldn't look out of place. I never had been so into dressing up for Halloween but I made a bit of an exception tonight. I had borrowed a Captain America costume from the office, pulling it over my clothes. It was pretty minimal effort but I mean, come on. Keith had gone all out dressed as a rocker, and Noah's costume was a play on words, holy guacamole, which consisted of Jesus-like attire covered in pictures of avocado.

"Olivia just texted the group, she and Courtney will be here in 5." Keith said as we got out of the car.

"Ok great" Noah said adjusting his costume, "did they say if James and Wahlid are coming in the end?"

"I think that James wasn't able to make it, but Courtney said that Wahlid was coming." I replied. She had told me he was coming yesterday at work with a huge grin on her face. I'm glad that he could come, because as much as I would have wanted this to be a squad thing, this was really about Courtney. If she wanted Wahlid there, then the more the merrier, as they say.

It was also good for me that he was coming. Since talking to Damien about my feelings for Courtney a few days ago, they began to seem a bit more real. Too real for my liking. Having Wahlid with us tonight was a good reminder for me to keep my feeling in check. I would get over this 'crush' soon enough and everything would be back to normal.

"Not sure if he's going to be third wheeling or we are." joked Noah.

They pulled up in Olivia's Jetta a few minutes later. Courtney leaped out of the back seat and ran over to us. She was dressed in an 80's style skating outfit, ala 'I, Tonya' Her crimped blond hair bounced around her face. Reaching the three of us, she threw and arm roughly around my shoulder causing me to stumble and let out an "Oof".

Grinning from ear-to-ear she asked "So how are my boys?"

"Well I'm doing better than Shayne right now," quipped Noah, indicating to Courtney's arm wrapped around my neck. I made a choking noise and play-wrestled her off of me as Olivia and Wahlid walked up behind us.

"Hi!" Olivia squealed, "I'm actually low key excited for this guys."

"I'm actually high key excited," said Wahlid. "Good to see you all." He added grabbing Courtney's hand. I pushed down the ridiculous spike of jealousy that shot through me and cleared my throat.

"Shall we?" I motioned towards the street in front of us which was already bustling with trick-or-treaters.

"Yes! Let's do this!" Keith grabbed his bag and ran ahead of us across the street. We hurried to catch up with him at the front step of a large modern house. A middle-aged couple answered the door when we knocked, (Trick-or-Treat!) they were impressed with Noah's costume, which made him a little smug, and they dropped a few candies into our bags.

We visited a bunch houses down the street, scoring chocolate and candy at each one. I felt sort of like a little kid again and it was a good feeling. It had been so long since I did this with my friends. At one of the houses, the owner was sitting on his porch disguised as a prop zombie. When we rang the doorbell, he jumped out at us, and Keith and Olivia jumped out of their skin.

"Oh my god, that made my night" I laughed, clutching my stomach as we walked back down the steps and back onto the busy street.

"I'm glad you thought it was funny," Grumbled Olivia.