Amelia: Heaven,Earth and Hell

Amelia headed into the dining room shortly after her outburst. She walked by Gabriel's empty chair and took her seat. Thomas was regaling to Victoria his recent tour of earth. Amelia found herself perking up. She had long dreamed of working on earth. She couldn't wait to finish high school so she could try to get a position on earth down below.
"...And this storm hit, it went on for days!" Tom's expression lit up wildly.

Victoria nodded and exclaimed,
"The rain is fascinating! So unpredictable!"

Amelia raised her eyebrow at Victoria, "Whoa, what? You have been to earth?"

"Yes, why? Did you think I have always been just a mom?" Victoria's eyes sparkled as she looked between her two children's awed faces.

"No way!"
"When did you go?"

Victoria laughed,
"I have gone twice. Once before you were both born. I managed to convince your father to take me on a mission!"

Thomas and Amelia shared looks of surprise.

Thomas asked Victoria,
"What did you do?"

"Hurricane support clean up. I was stationed at the school helping children after the storm. I played with them and helped keep them calm and out of the way of the clean up. I got to read bible stories, make crafts and play games. It was a lot of fun!"

"What did you think of earth?" Thomas questioned.

"Yeah! And what about your second trip?" Amelia asked eagerly.

Victoria smiled at their enthusiasm.

"I will tell you about my second trip and then give my overall thoughts"

Both kids nodded, hanging on to her every word.

"After my first trip on earth I desperately wanted to go back to help with the children. So I spoke with god and he granted me a spot in Guardian Angel training. I had been studying for a few years, but my priority of course was taking care of Thomas."

Thomas smiled cheekly at Victoria. She smiled back and continued,
"Well my little Thomas had decided he was grown up enough to head off to a three month long summer camp," she cupped Thomas's face lightly. His grin turned sheepish.
"And Gabriel had a quest for the next three months. So since I was alone I decided to take my first trial run at Guardian Angel work. My case was a little girl that needed a safer home. I had an apartment and earth clothing so I could pose as a social worker."

"Amazing!" Amelia gasped.

Thomas cocked his head towards his mother. His knowledge and experience gave him a less enthusiastic view. Guardian Angel case work was no cake walk.
"What was the case like?"

Victoria gathered her thoughts. She knew she could not lie to her kids, especially Tom who had been on earth a few times.
"Hard. I was in way over my head."

Thomas nodded his head in symphony.

Amelia looked between the pair, lost by Victoria's proclamation.
"Why?"

Victoria settled her gaze on Amelia. She knew how badly her daughter wanted to see earth. But she also wanted to make Amelia understand how dangerous the world truly was.
"My charge's mother was addicted to hard drugs. She forgot about her daughter, and when she wasn't neglectful she was abusive. My charge at age ten prayed to god to keep her safe. So I was sent as a social worker to take her to a new home belonging to a couple that were more than willing to provide her a better life."

Amelia wrinkled her nose,
"Well that would be easy!"

Victoria shook her head in disagreeance,
"Not at all Amelia. My charge loved her mother. Her mother was all she knew. She didn't understand that her mother was likely beyond saving."