Family

Author's notes: Uhhhhh well at first I just thought of this book as something to blow off steam but people actually like it?? Thanks for reading :)

"Lance!! Welcome back!!" My little cousin squealed as she ran into my arms as soon as I opened the door. I had just come home from school.

"Maria!!" I joined in hugging her. "I'm home!!" I hollered out throughout the house.

"Welcome back!" Mom replied. "Aunt Reaha just dropped Maria off right now." 

I nodded in reply, I spotted Maria's dad lazily on the couch. He didn't bother looking up or acknowledging his own daughter. Putting my thoughts aside, I turned my attention to Maria, she beamed and giggled.

"Play with me Lance!" 

"Okay!" I said excitedly and joined her to build a blanket fort. Half an hour later mom appeared from the kitchen with no longer a happy face.

"Lance?" She said still with a monotone face. I knew this must have been serious so I let Maria play by herself. I walked to mom, she had our home phone in one hand.

"What's going on?" I asked in a laid back manner.

"Did you skip any classes today?"

My heart stopped at those words.

Skip class.

Fail school.

Disappointment to family.

Fail.

Fail.

Disappointment.

I didn't skip class ever, I never skipped class. But my body and voice reacted horribly, I began to panic.

"No! I never did!" Mom looked at me with worry and disapproval.

She didn't trust me did she?

A million different things clouded in my mind, like I couldn't function.

"I got a call from the school, they said that you skipped one or more classes today." She played back the message, it was an automatic voice. 

"Your child___Lance McClain___has been absent for one or more classes today." 

"No!! I'm 100% certain I didn't skip class!" My chest felt heavy and my head felt light, I began to breath faster and my heart was beating out of my chest. Mixed feelings of anger and fear filled me.

"Ooooh busted." It was Maria's uncle, I looked down at my feet. My fists balled up and my eyes began to cloud. Then mom put a hand on my shoulder.

"I trust you okay? Just..I need to know...before I phone the school if you did skip class?"

"No I didn't!" 

But I couldn't control the water works, one tear fell. And a million followed, I hiccuped and sob. I felt mom's shocked eyes on me, I felt so embarrassed and ashamed. I had never cried in front of my mom. She didn't know me as a weak and vulnerable type. I wanted to stop but I couldn't my breaths were inconsistent, each time I breathed in another would come. I sobbed into the palms of my hands feeling the hot salty tears sink into my hands.

"It's okay honey, I trust you. Why are you crying? There's no need to cry."

But there was.

There was all the more reason to. 

I had never told her, or an of my family this.

I had depression.

It was hard to eat.