Chapter 11

Elijah's Redemption

Chapter 11

“Are you going to be silent for the whole ride?” Sariel asked breaking the silence that had enveloped them after her revelation. It was understandable, the silence. What else could you expect with such revelations? The irony of it, death being alive, must have been too much for him.

“I don’t know what to say” he confessed.

“You don’t believe me” She observed. Sariel knew the truth would be too much for him but she confessed it anyway. Her past was catching up to her and she knew it was time to come clean. She did not want her friendship to be built on lies, especially since he knew almost everything about her, almost.

“No, it’s not that” he said stealing a glance of her “I believe you. I am just trying to process it”

“Oh”

The rest of the ride went without any more attempts at conversation by either of them. They both had things in their mind and it was best that they kept their thoughts to their own minds.

Sariel went back to observing the darkness. Her mind was racing with a lot of thoughts, her returning humanity, her past, the accident, donuts, death, Elijah, everything.  The events of the day finally caught on to her. She was exhausted both physically and emotionally. Her eyes dropped shut and slowly she drifted off to sleep, losing herself to dreams of a life she wanted and of him, always of him, her dark knight otherwise known as one of the originals.

Elijah turned to look at her. He was surprised to find her deep in sleep. Her lips were turned upwards, in a perfect curve of a smile he had ever seen. She really was perfect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sariel was woken by a sudden jerk. She felt the ground beneath her feet moving, as if she was flying. She opened her eyes with a start. Sariel’s panicked eyes found Elijah’s serene face looking at her with fondness. It was a surprise to have found emotion on his generally blank face.  As soon as he discovered she was awake, he hid it away and his face returned back to his signature blank expression.

It was gone so fast that Sariel thought she probably had imagined it.  “You are awake” he stated.

Sariel nodded. “I am” she looked around trying to find the reason why she felt like she was flying only to find herself in the arms of the very person who she had been dreaming about just a few seconds earlier.

She looked at him quizzically. He nodded as if understanding what she wanted to say “I did not want to wake you up” he explained.

She nodded, accepting his explanation. She thought about asking him to put her down but then her head sent the hint that she could not walk, through the sudden stab of pain in her temple. It was enough to forget about embarrassment and instead focus on how it felt to be in his arms. There was not much difference in between the dream she just had and reality.

It felt good and even safe, to be surrounded in his arms. She could live like this, it wouldn’t take time getting used to it, the warm he radiated from him seeped onto her. She felt her insides melt and she leaned in, holding him with all the strength she had.

Her dream or reality, whatever you want to call it, was over soon. With his speed, he reached the room in blink of eye. He put her down gently on the bed. Elijah paused and looked into her eyes then abruptly he turned away. Sariel looked around the room to divert her mind from him and his alluring eyes. She was in a room which was decorated with such finesse that she forgot to blink. It must have taken a lot of time and money to make the place appear so breathtaking.