⁶⁾ puppy knuckles

[JANE POV.]

so now we're alone, you got me by your side, and when we're alone girl, you know you try to hide !

CHAPTER SIX.

⋆⋆⋆

IT'S BEEN weird ever since the night of the party.

well, weird for mike and max.

it hasn't bothered me all too much though, given that he spends less time gazing at her and more time cracking jokes with me, which sounds selfish, I know, but can I help it?

but still, the air is tense and awkward when the whole group gets together. kind of like when mike and I started to drift apart.
as much as it works in my favor, I hate seeing mike so upset. it kills me that I'd rather see him happy than see him with me.

but maybe he could be happy with me.

that night at the party, after the two of us walked back into the house- it made me think that, perhaps it wasn't as crazy of a thing to think he may have feelings for me. he just may not have realized it yet.

we spent the rest of the night glued to the hip, it seems. the whole time, all we did was remain sitting on the couch in the corner of the room, trying to like the taste of alcohol and observing the commotion around us. it wasn't anything abnormal- except for when he drove me home.

mike had just gotten his license not too long ago, and was only allowed to have one person in his car at a time, so dustin and lucas ended up getting a ride together and will's mom ended up bringing max home. it seemed to be the perfect end to such a crazed night. just him and i. alone.

"do you feel like shit right now?" he asked me, his words slow and groggy.
"yeah, kinda," I said smiling. the alcohol had made me feel like everything was happening in slow motion yet all at once, and such an unfamiliar feeling caused my mind to ache.
"yeah, me too. damn, maybe next time we're at a party I should be that one weird kid and just drink water."
"that's a great idea, actually."

when we made it to my house, he parked the car in the driveway, and suddenly turned to me with concern in his eyes.
"what if I want to get over her?" he asked me, his face remaining serious and impatient.
"uh, I guess you just kind of do?" I answered, unsure of how to answer such a question.
"well, I mean, you got over me- how'd you do that?"

the pit of my stomach once again turned, as I felt the guilt rise through my body.

"well, let me ask you a question," I started, "do you just like her surface level or do you think it's...you know..."
"anything more than that?" he cocked his head to the side in question.
"like I'm not saying love or anything," I laughed, "but do you think it's more than just a phase? like is this something you see a future with, something that would last for years?"
he sat in thought for a while, a familiar silence looming in the air.
"I don't know," he suddenly spoke up, which made me somewhat disappointed.
"maybe just try to distract yourself with something else."
"like what?"
"I don't know," I shrugged, "stuff you like to do, I guess."
mike's eyes darted up to lock with mine, a sigh escaping from his lips.
"well, I mean, I like AV club, and video games, and-"
"and?"
"and hanging out with you, I guess."

this made my stomach erupt with butterflies, and my face felt like it was on fire. I tried my best to hide my flushed cheeks, cupping my hands around my face as casually as I could. it was crazy how such a simple comment could make my heart swell.