Chapter 21

The air was gruesomely warm and thick with a heavy fog. Did it rain? Or was it about to? The street lights seemed to change color every time we walked downed the small alley. Now it was a very dim pink with a blue glow that outlined the dark sky.

     The damp pavement glistened with a musty shine even in the dark night. All seemed at calm...except for my heart.

There was a bit of jitteriness in me and every step I took, I was wary. Was it because I hadn't seen him so long?

      Jiyong on the other hand looked completely at calm. His hands in his pockets and his head sunken down, he almost looked too serene.

"So what have you been up to?" Jiyong asked in a cool tone.

    "Just working and looking around for a job as a teacher in a high school." 

    "Oh yea...I keep forgetting you're just a substitute teacher for us." He frowned, "Wait where do you work?"

    I pointed as we reached the Ji-market. "Well right here actually, I work part time."

    Jiyong clasped his mouth and bent down when he read the sign. I could see him trying so hard to keep from breathing heavily. 

Was he laughing? At the sign? Well of course it was kind of ridiculous even from my point of view. Pretty lame of a name.

 He quickly composed himself and tried to hold in little escapes of laugher as he avoided my eyes. "So... You work here?"

I playfully slapped his arm and dragged him into the store. 

"Oh stop, I think it's a bit cute. Besides the owner is really nice." I said happily as we walked inside.

     Minwoo, one of the employees who worked there was working as cashier after my shift. He was in college and 21 years old. Minho was tall and broadly built but still had a baby face. Ever since he started working here, he had been following me around calling me "Noona*".

      I skipped up to him and pounded lightly on the counter, "Minwoo-ya!"

Minwoo looked up from his phone and smiled brightly, "Oh Remi noona, what are you doing here?" 

     "Ahh I just needed to pick up a few things...I guess" I turned around to see where Jiyong was. He let out a small cough and shied away from our direction. 

      I turned back to see Minwoo trying to see who Jiyong really was. But I cut off his view and changed the subject, "When do you work till?"

      "Just till midnight and then I'm done." 

      From the corner of my eye, I could see sharp eyes piercing me from one of the isles. 

      "Well um, have fun. I'll be just... here" I left him at the counter and went to look for Jiyong. The store was about the size of a 7 eleven but a bit bigger.

       He was in the snack isle looking at the back label of a chip bag. Jiyong didn't look at me and instead kept his eyes focused on the food.

      "So, he's the owner?" He asked, still not looking at me.

      "No, he's just an employee here, he's really nice too!"

--------------------------

*Noona- what younger male says to older female. (Everyone probably knows what it is though)

--------

Jiyong put down the bag and looked at the other instant foods in the isle.

       "Well you two sure look pretty friendly." He said bluntly with a hint of accented anger in her voice. Ohh wait, something was up with him.