|Chp. 14: Bears & Wolves|

Thaddeus became a constant irritating presence. He was determined to make sure that he didn't ruin his relationship with Quinn. I was just sitting down in their library on some animal skin chair while looking at the book with the wolf pictures.

This one showed a giant wolf posed in a fighting position. "Die, dir, wolf." I said unsure of what it said. The wolf was easily bigger than the other drawings. This book held lots of information. . . of course I had no idea what any of it said but the pictures were easier.

I smiled at the picture a bit. Sure I couldn't read it, but the pictures were always pretty and when Quinn was in a good mood he'd read it to me. There were lots of species of wolves apparently. And it seemed at one point in time this polar bear kingdom was on semi-good terms with wolves.

This book was co-authored by a wolf and some polar bear. And it interested me for sure. And I went once more trying to pronounce the wolf's name. But failed once more making me frown as someone came up behind and Lupa pinned an ear back.

"Dire wolf." Thaddeus said.

I turned around to look at him. "What?" I asked. "Dire wolf, it's pronounced dire wolf." Thaddeus said before sitting down next to me making me scoot the chair away. I don't care what he told Quinn. He made me uncomfortable, he did choke me out.

"They're extinct, They haven't been seen in almost a century. They went extinct along with the sabers." Thaddeus said. Some animals had gone extinct and took out spirit animals with them. And it seemed this dire wolf was apart of the whole extinct species group going on.

"They're huge wolves. They're easily bigger than a sun bear and they stand at where a grizzly bear stands on all fours at their withers. Or so the books say. No one has seen one because they are extinct." Thaddeus said and I simply nodded as he watched me as I shut the old leather book.

"Look you don't like me. . . and I don't blame you much for it. I did hold you hostage, choke you out and threaten to kill you and terrify you. But I wanted to find my brother and you weren't cooperating." Thaddeus said. Not even Lupa looked at him.

"Your only telling half the truth." I said as Lupa looked at me. 'His heart is pounding loudly.' Lupa said and I nodded at that. "Your a wolf, I don't like wolves." Thaddeus said leaning back as I glanced at him and the scar running down his eye and the one on his nose.

"Is it because a wolf did that to your face?" I asked. Thaddeus smiled just a bit. "You can say that." Thaddeus said. "How did a wolf get you, those wolves weight maybe one hundred maybe one twenty?" I asked. "I was barely even on my twelfth year of birth." Thaddeus said.

"Why were you even near aggressive wolves?" I asked. "It's a long story." Thaddeus said. Something told me I wouldn't like what this story would be about. But I wanted to know why he hated me so much because I was a wolf. "I have time." I responded.

"The wolf territory was always uneasy with my family's people. My dad had an idea to form a truce, an uneasy truce. You know what they say a bad truce is better than a good war. So he arranged a meeting." Thaddeus said his eyes hardening at the thought.

"Eight wolves, eight bears, so the wolves couldn't get the upper hand with number. I was one of the eight along with six warriors, and one truce maker. They had their alpha, his children, two twins, one boy and one a girl." Thaddeus said with a frown on his face at the thought.

"It was supposed to be foolproof but it wasn't. It was a simple mistake honestly. You honestly don't know your people that well. They're aggressive when it comes to their females. The girl was staring at me so I smiled at her. It was just a smile, they took it as more." Thaddeus said.