Chapter 11

Recap:

Rosaline Princeton: Queen of England.

What have I done? I can't even explain what's going through my head right now. What an earth have I gotten myself into...

Damon's Arrival

Today is the day Prince Damon Edward Maximus Williams is returning home after running away at 14 from a supposedly 'highly secure' centre for delinquents. It's been almost 7 years now.

Thinking back to earlier this morning and last week when I discovered of Damon's existence, I find myself not looking forward to his arrival at all. He sounds like trouble and I don't think Stefan needs any trouble during this difficult time of his life. After all, he has to choose a bride and wed her, all within just under 6 months now. I understand now. I understand why his parents have organised such a grand event: he has no choice. He must either step up and take his place as the King of England, or he must watch it crumble under the misguided rule of his brother.

He admitted his feelings for me.

"Rose-the truth is I like you. At the risk of sound like a 9th grader, I like you a lot. More than any of the other girls here, and more than I have anyone. It's strange; I've never felt like this about anyone before, and never so quickly. Honestly... if it were up to me, I wouldn't even bother to continue on with this selection..."

He's asked me wait. And no, he hasn't mentioned or even referenced that special four letter word I can't seem to shake from my thoughts, but that declaration still means the world to me. Scarily so. I've never been so dependent on a boy before, nor have I ever experienced such joy to know of his feelings for me. And I don't like it. It makes me feel weak, yet it's empowering at the same time. To be so reliant on a man and his approval of me scares me. I always considered myself to be independent, in fact I even took pride in it, but this experience has certainly disproven that. For his confession to me to mean so much makes me feel vulnerable and insufficient. Yet nothing has made me happier before now...

...I must admit that perhaps now I am ready to finally admit my feelings for him are lo... no. No it can't be. It's just a crush ... right? But if it's just a crush, why did I say I'd wait for him?

"Rose? He's here." I turn to see Stefan standing in my doorway.

"Your brother?" I question confused. If his brother's here, why is he not waiting to greet him. He's waited for this moment for almost 7 long years now, and yet here he stands in my doorway.

"Yes. He shall be at our gates in a matter of minutes. I was wondering, Rose, if you would accompany me to meet him?"

I'm taken aback momentarily. "Of course I will Stefan!" I notice him offer me a smile of gratitude but it wavers and I know he's nervous. Why wouldn't he be? "It's not your fault." I bring him into a hug which he returns, and we stay fitted together for what feels like an eternity. "You know it's not your fault. You just wanted to help your brother and your parents. Don't blame yourself. Please Stefan."

"Thank you Rose. You being here for me here these last few days have meant so much to me; you've helped me so much. This is why I lo-like you. This is why I like you so very much." I don't miss his mishap in the middle but decide to say nothing about it. As curious as I am I find myself a little hurt that he stopped himself from confessing his love for me; but then I know it's a big step. A step I'm nowhere near taking. It's a big commitment. A big phrase. And he doesn't need that kind of big now. That kind of commitment. I know that really, and so I mustn't be selfish. Especially when I'm not even there yet. "Come on Stefan." I pull away from his embrace and take his arm. Pushing away all thoughts of wanting to be back in his arms, I gently pull him from my room and lead him towards the beginning of something new. To meet his long lost brother.