Chapter 12

Recap:

We glance at each other before shouting: "GET THEM!"

Trouble Brews

Today's Friday. Preparations are underway for the grand ball tomorrow evening. And from what I've overheard - and seen with all the additional staff - it's going to be one stunner of a ball! I'm actually looking forward to it. Not because it's in Damon's honour, but I'm just looking forward to the splendour.

Damon hasn't given us anymore trouble. Not yet anyway. Then again, today's only his third day back at the palace so maybe he's just keeping a low profile to start.

I've just finished breakfast and am wandering around the palace gardens. Lexi has a meeting with the King and Queen, mine with them is the beginning next week. I don't really know what the meeting with them entails, but I'm sure it's for them to suss out if we're suitable candidates for the throne. Stefan has a couple of dates to attend today, and Dylan is who knows where? So I'm all alone.

"Rosaline!"

I freeze as I recognise the voice to be that of Prince Damon's. Spoke too soon... Wincing, I stop and turn. Sure enough, I see him approaching me.

"Your highness." I greet before turning away, hoping to escape him.

"Hey, where are you going?" He asks, grabbing my arm. I jump and yank my arm away.

"Just wandering around the gardens... They're beautiful." I stammer, a little uneasy.

"They are just lovely aren't they ... well, follow me."

"Excuse me?"

"I have something to show you. And it would be in your best interest to come with me and see."

Reluctantly, I see no choice but to follow him. He leads me inside and along some corridors. Eventually, we reach what looks like his bedroom? It's large, beautiful. It's truly magnificent.

He picks up a photograph from his desk and holds it up for me to see. I let out a little gasp and squeal when I see a picture of Stefan and I kissing. It's from yesterday, when Stefan and I snuck a couple of hours together before dinner.

The King and Queen know Stefan and I have befriended, but they don't know our relationship has developed romantically. And it has to stay like that. The other day, the King made a speech at dinner. He reiterated we were not to develop any kind of serious romantic relationship - beyond the compulsory dates and meetings. The price is disqualification from the competition. And if that happens, we'll it's game over ofcourse. There's no way Stefan and I can end up as something more than we are now.

As a result, Stefan and I have agreed to must keep our relationship a secret. This photograph, obviously, compromises that secret and puts whatever future we'd hoped for together in jeopardy.

"So, what's this all about miss Princeton? Who's being a naughty couple?" He smirks and I flinch, the hairs on the back of my neck standing up on end.

"I-we-it's... Ummm..." I stammer, unsure of what to say. What would Stefan say? What will he think? Maybe he knows already. Maybe he doesn't care. Maybe it's easier for him to just have me sent home.

Damon though. I don't understand why he's doing this to me. To us. To his own brother.

"Why are you doing this?" I ask him. "To your own brother." I voice my thoughts and questions aloud.

"It's a promise I'm fulfilling." He smiles. "That day he recommended mum and dad send me away, that was the day I swore I would return one day and ruin his life; just like he ruined mine."