Chapter 30

Recap:

"Let me get that for you." I freeze at the voice, the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end.

Slowly, taking a deep breath, I turn around to find the very man I've been trying to banish from my thoughts stood before me. In the flesh. The man who seems to manage to worm his way back into my life, into my heart, no matter how hard I try to stop him. Every time - every time I think it's over or that I can finally move, back he comes. Reeling me back in... The man who I love.

"Stefan." I whisper.

Break From Reality

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you... I miss you." From the corner of my eye, I'm vaguely aware of the others moving off towards the car but I can hardly focus on anything other than Stefan.

"I... what about Matilda?"

"The wedding date is set." He breaks my eye contact, looking at the floor.

"When?"

"August 31st."

"So soon..." I swallow the lump in my throat. In just two weeks, that's it. "A summer wedding; how quaint..." I can't help the bitterness that seeps through. "Why did you come Stefan. You know I can't do this. We can't do this. You should go." Fighting back the tears, I turn to leave. I've spent weeks trying to get over him. Trying to be happy again, by myself. Forgetting him and how happy he made me; forgetting the pain of him choosing Matilda and having to leave him. I know he's not so much choosing Matilda as much as choosing England, and his family, but that doesn't make it hurt any less. I'm onto human. And yet here he is, stood before me igniting all those feelings over again; and it's my heart that's going to be broken. Again.

"Rose please." He gently takes my wrist in his hand, applying enough pressure to spin me around but not enough to hurt me. Not physically anyway. "I just couldn't do it without seeing you. One last time." He places his forehead on mine, gently caressing my cheek with his other hand. "Please. Just this weekend."

"I don't know..." but already know it's too late despite my words; what is it he does to me? This power he holds over me... I'm a goner all over again. So what's 2 more days?

Against my better judgement and the screaming protests of my brain, I give in to my heart and offer the man stood before me a smile. "Okay Stefan. Okay. Just this weekend."

➰➰➰

Stefan's arrival has changed plans; somewhat. Dylan is now going to go back with Lexi and will return to England with Stefan at the end weekend. Em is going to stay with Alex at Lexi's house... I suspect that was always the plan, but Stefan's arrival provided the perfect cover story right? So that leaves Stefan and I at my house. Alone. For a whole weekend.

Be still my heart.

"Your home is lovely." Stefan smiles after I've given him the grand tour of our not so grand house. It's not too shabby, and I certainly love it. But compared to the palace? Well, need I say more.

"Thank you. Welcome... It's no palace but it is home." I smile feeling oddly shy around him all of a sudden. "So, what would you like to do?"

"You tell me." He whispers, pulling me into his embrace. "I'm the guest."

"Hmmm... I'll have to show you all the sights." I murmur into his chest.

"Just don't be missing any." He whispers huskily in my ear, causing me to blush at the double meaning lacing his words.

In the end, we decide to spend his first night in America at home. It's a chilled affair: movies, blankets and popcorn. We fall asleep snuggled on the sofa together, happy and content, and I wish - more than anything - it could last...