Chapter 20

Recap:

Em is telling everyone a memory from our family's holiday to Disneyland. I tune her out because I remember that day. I come out looking so bad, so instead I let my mind wander and think back to what she said. 'Fight for him'.

Is that right? Is that what I should? There's no way I can win this fight though right... I'm not only going up against the King and Queen of England, but France's monarchy too. Should I really fight a battle I know I'll ultimately loose? And what about Stefan... how does he feel?

Will he fight for me...

Fight For This Love

Our families are leaving today. I'm so sad to see them go, I've missed them so much and having them here has been so nice. Almost like before, just with a lot more maids and a lot more, well, pomp and circumstance. If you know what I mean - or not. I definitely didn't know the meaning of pomp and circumstance until all this, that's for sure.

"Bye princess. I love you." Dad gives me a big hug, followed by mum. "We miss you, but you're doing so well here. You look beautiful." She gives me quick kiss on the cheek before taking my dad's hand and heading into the waiting taxi for them.

"Have fun little sis." Em beams. She gives me a big hug which I return just as fervently. "And remember; go get him." She whispers before pulling away and following my parents into their taxi.

I stay where I am, waving, until I can no longer see the taxi... and they're gone. I let out a small sigh. I'm exhausted. I decide to spend the rest of the day sleeping - who knows what next week will bring.

Once I'm in bed, it doesn't take me long to fall asleep, dead to the world.

➰➰➰

I wake with a start. I can't say what woke me, maybe a dream? But I can't remember it. Sighing I look at the time, it reads 04:30. Gosh I've been asleep for ages! And I still feel tired...

I glance at my phone to see messages from my family confirming they've landed safely, and then messages letting me know they're home safe now. I smile and send off a reply, when my stomach lets out a loud rumble.

Yikes.

I decide to go in search of a kitchen. It's a risk after last time I went searching the place, but hopefully the guards will recognise me now I've been here a while. It honestly feels so much longer than 2 and a half months I've been here; I feel like I've been here years! It's strange; an odd progression of time.

When my stomach lets out another growl, I know it's decided. I grab a dressing gown to cover up the silk slip I'm wearing and slip on my slippers, before heading out in search of food.

I find myself in the kitchen that we had our food fight in back at the the beginning of this adventure. I smile at the memory. But the rumbling of my stomach, yet again, forces me to stop reminiscing and start searching.

I'm just searching in the fridge when I hear some footsteps. Uh oh! Who is it? Am I meant to be here? Will I get into trouble? Should I hide? Is this classed as stealing? As the footsteps get louder, I make a run for it. I dash into the pantry in panic.

I hear the scrape of a stool so assume whoever has just come in has taken a seat. I wait a few seconds, holding my breath. Nothing. No noise.

"You going to hide from me all morning my love?" I jump at the sound of a familiar, husky voice...

"Stefan..." I step out from my hiding space to see him sat at the table look directly at the doorway into the pantry, a bemused smile on his face. "How did you know?"