Chapter 29

Recap:

Lexi's face literally lights up and her eyes sparkle as she finally tells me of all the romantic unfoldings between her and Dylan. And I honestly couldn't be happier... I'm glad Lexi hasn't been sent home. She deserves all the time she can get with Dylan; I can't help but wonder what'll happen when the selection ends...

But that's a problem for a couple of weeks time. For now, today, I'm just happy she's found someone like Dylan.

The Surprise Guest

"I can't believe it's over!" Lexi is sat on my bed, in my house. The selection ended last week, and she has finally made it round to my house. "It's so weird being back! And leaving was odd... when they announced no one had won and everyone would be returning home it was just... weird. Even for me and I knew it was coming! Zoe wasn't best pleased to say the least. Honestly, this whole experience has just been weird."

"I can't believe it either. It's definitely been the craziest experience of my life."

"Tell me about it!"

"It feels so much longer than 6 months ago this whole thing started. I feel like I've known you for years; and as for Stefan... I can't believe I was only there for just over 3 months."

"Well the King did want it to be speedy right? Can't say it was anything but!"

"It just makes me feel... pathetic I guess? I was there for 3 months! And yes there I am, a love struck puppy, who was weeping over Stefan way before I left..."

"When you know, you know Rosa. No one's judging you." Lexi smiles softly, squeezing my hand.

"Dare I ask about Dylan?" I ask carefully.

"He never popped the question to make it official." She frowns. "We still talk everyday though, and he's making plans to come see me. He's even floated the idea of coming to America for university... so I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see?"

"Aww I'm happy for you. It'll work you know; you two are made for each other."

"I'm sorry about you and Stefan." She looks at me sadly. "If it's any consolation I know he missed you. Everyone sensed something was off with him for the last month."

"It's ok Lexi. I'm moving on with my life, just as he's moving on with his with Matilda. But thank you." I lie with a brave smile, making a promise to myself in that moment: get over Prince Stefan Arthur Alexander Williams, heir to England's throne.

➰➰➰

Mum wants me to start thinking about my future... It's fair enough I guess. I'm 20 this year, and there's no longer the chance of me being whizzed away to marry a prince. I honestly can't even believe that was ever a possibility ... Yet somehow, in my world, it was. After finishing school at 18 I decided to take some time out from education; but it was always my intention to return to it and attend university.

Dad is away again, so it's just the three of us. I think mum knows something happened in England, but she has kindly steered clear of all talk that is England or England related. I probably have Em to thank for that; she shares way too much with mum if you ask me.

"How about a British university?" I glance up at mum's voice.

"A British university?" I repeat. "And why would I want to go there to study?"

"It's just a suggestion Rosaline." Mum sighs at my defensive tone.

"Well I'm more than happy with The University of Arizona or UCLA as my top two choices." I grind back. We've done so well avoiding any talk to do with England, but something tells me that's about to change.