Life is A Highway

"Shhut up." I growled down to my stomach, twisting the screwdriver with anger.

"Do you... uh, want something to eat?"

I started at the gravelly voice, a softness sweeping over me. "As soon as I'm done, Wiseman."

He smiled and nodded, "I'll keep the soup warm for ya then."

I watched him walk away. Now there was a man I could admire. Built a civilization for his people when they were excommunicated for simply being different. The thought broke my heart. Even with all the cruelty and madness and death, people still had room for prejudice. If it wasn't all synths, then it was all ghouls.

Why can't people think rationally? I wondered, nearly finished with the final turret. Why do we make everything so black and white?

"Annnddd...." I grabbed a wire and twisted, the machine sputtered to life with the sluggish chugging typical of low-quality turrets. "Done!"

I wiped the sweat dripping from my brow, setting the screwdriver down at the work station and made my way into the old pool house. It was weird and cold, I thought, but the ghouls seemed to enjoy it there just fine. I could respect that. It was their safe haven.

I took a seat at the large table I'd help construct. A bowl of Wiseman's specialty, tar-berry soup, was placed before me. The smell was curious, the color even more so. I smiled over at Wiseman, who had taken a seat across from me watching with veiled eyes.

I took a small sip, "Whoa!"

A huge grin lit up his face. I felt something similar to butterflies find their way into my veins.

"Good huh?"

I nodded, trying to eat slow and failing. It was sweet and spicy and filling without being heavy. When I finished I set my bowl down, kicking back in my chair.

"That was wonderful." I sighed, closing my eyes a little.

"I'm glad you liked it, family recipe." He joked. He leaned forward a little, "We haven't know each other too long. You've been here what? A week?" I nodded, "Tell me if I'm imagining this, but... Well," he shifted in his chair seeming mildly uncomfortable.

The change in the atmosphere between us made me sit straighter, looking him in the eyes. "You know," I interrupted, "I admire what you've done here. What you've done for these people, your ingenuity at using a pool to grow the rarest of crops. You're an amazing man and I am so glad I can call you my friend. Having someone like you on the side of the minute men... well, you're invaluable."

Knowing crossed his face, my stomach sank. I had a crush, a silly crush, because I was lonely and Wiseman truly was a great person, but that did not mean I was ready for anything serious. I still had to find Shaun.

"Ah well." He chuckled ruefully, standing. "I figured who better to throw my hat in with than a woman like you?" His darkened and pinned me for a minute, the shifting emotions in their depths spoke of things I wanted to hear. "You're changing things, you know. It may not be obvious to you, but the roads have never been safer. We have never been safer. I... I admire you for that." He raised a finger, "One person can make a difference. Imagine what a banded community of persons can do?"

I smiled at him as he nodded and walked away. I rested my chin on my hands.

Was I really making a difference? Should I have admitted that I liked him? Was I right to shut him down that way?

Do I... Do I still feel the same way about Shaun? It was a slow dawning horror to notice that the fire in my gut had faded.

I still wanted revenge on the Institute, yes. I still wanted to know if my son was alive, yes. But I didn't feel the sense of urgency. My life had become so much more than my own tragedy. I was a soldier of progress and safety and hope for everyone. Or at least that's what it felt like.