Chapter Eight: Deal with the Devil

You grabbed the walkie and pressed the button to speak. "Sir, I'm fine. I may take longer than an hour, so call off the guards until I reconnect. William hasn't done anything, I'm still investigating. I'm turning off my walkie so there isn't any interference with my concentration." You quickly spoke so he would stop panicking.

You swiftly switched the walkie off before awaiting a response, turning your attention back to William. "My complete understanding?...Well, you have it."

William continued to hold your chin, with your head tilted up and him peering down into your eyes searchingly, with rumination etched into his face, discerning your true feelings.

"Do you, truly?" He said deeply but very softly, cupping your cheek and maintaining a sentimental gaze. "Perhaps, you will give me the honour of showing you?" He pulled his hands away slowly, feather-light caressing your cheek as he did. "I want you to do everything consensually and of your own accord, after all."

He reached over you head and gripped a large handle of a rectangular wall switch. With a mechanical snap and an electrical crackle, the place lit up one section at a time, with loud flashes and the buzzing of overhead lamps.

You weren't certain of what you were expecting to see, but this was even more bizarre.

The basement barely looked like a cellar. There were polished metal examination tables next to engineering work stations. Scattered about were IV stands strewn with tubes, all manner of tools, and chemistry sets that resembled antique alchemist supplies. It was an unexpected array of medical, mechanical and scientific equipment.

The blaring lights behind the man who owned such a laboratory made him look like a black shadow looming over you, his hand still on the switch behind you.

"Before we begin, I'm desperate to know one thing." He looked down at you and you could only see a glint where his eyes should be and the flash of his teeth.

The intellectual criminal trapping you to the cold concrete wall asked you, "Do you fear me, y/n?"

"To be honest: Yes, a little, but not enough to stay away from you." You kept your attention on William.

William's posture falls a little, disheartened. "My heart is always desiring the unattainable." He said more to himself than to you, coughing painfully once more. "Henry's research...Results for my life's work...and you." He says the last part adoringly.

Elizabeth looks at him sadly through the eyes of the Scrap Baby robot.

"William, listen, before you let your dreams get crushed, just remember that I didn't say no." You offered a small smile. "It's complicated. If you're loose and I quit my career, an investigation will be done on me. And what about my friends and family? They can't know about you... All I'm saying is that this a huge decision. That doesn't mean I'm refusing."

William pauses and approaches you, abruptly pulling you into a strong hug full of deep emotion.

"I know." He whispers almost fiercely. "I'm selfish, y/n..." He admits. "I envy everyone that gets the privilege of seeing your smile and hearing you talk about your favourite things." His grip tightens, though not uncomfortably.

"I want all of you for myself..." He growls.

Then, his grip loosens and his tone becomes soft as feathers. "...But you don't deserve that, do you?"

He kisses the top of your head and releases you.

"You're right, as always, y/n. I'll respect your decision and compromise." His tone became chipper. "Take the evidence to them, solve your case, out rank every police officer in history, if you'd fancy, and you can still visit me from time to time confidentially." He grinned wide. "I do apologise, my muse, but I'm too afraid of death to go back with you, and, let's face it, there's no choice left anymore for that."

He gestured to Elizabeth who brought him a cane and he began going over to a metal table with purpose.

"I have a better position than this one to continue my research in. A Sister Location." He grinned, looking confident and at ease. "I meticulously planned its construction so no one would suspect or find it." His smile faded only slightly. "I...had hoped...to conduct my work there with you always by my side, but, as you said, you didn't say no. Maybe some day." He hummed. "Until then, our happiest day awaits~"