Chapter Nine: Planning a Scandalous Rendezvous

[The following chapter contains spoilers for the official novel "The Fourth Closet."]

"Speaking of this place, how on earth did you manage to build all of this under Henry's home without him noticing?" You wondered.

"Henry was delirious and barely coherent after his heir mysteriously died. A mere famisile of a man, so blinded by fantasy that he believed a doll was a real child and entirely forgot about his own still living son's existence. He forgot his own wife even before she divorced him. His mind was permanently damaged by the holographic discs that showed him only what he wanted to see, but not what was real. He didn't notice anything in reality anymore." William explained in a mocking tone aimed at his old business partner. [This is canon in the official novels]

"I co-owned Fredbear property and since Henry wasn't using it anymore," he referred to Henry's death irreverently. "I assumed possession of what was rightfully mine. What better place to conduct research than somewhere forgotten by time?" He said loftily.

"What is this research?" You implored. "You mentioned wanting results for your life's work. Does this have to do with the cure for your illness that you wanted to show me?"

"It is indeed. As I've mentioned before, my time in this body is nearing finality, but I do not intend to die." William gave a wry smirk.

"The results of my experimentation on the human soul have brought me within reach of my goal to discover the secret to binding life to a mechanical suit. The key is what remains after passing away before your time: Remnant." He said with vehemence.

"I believe this substance is the key to immortality, but I've yet to test it on a human, although I've had breakthrough success with preserving life in what I've built here." He gestured with a gleam of pride to the animatronics that obeyed his every word.

You gazed up at him in wonder, taking in his every feature. "Remnant? Interesting..." You chuckled, gazing at the robots with a smile. "So that's why they're like that... they really are incredible, beautiful miracles of machinery and science and alchemy." You complimented.

You spent a long moment thinking of everything he had said, everything he had done since he had met you, considering it all. How he waited so long in pain, when he could have broken out of prison at any time just to meet you, the way he so eagerly would do anything at all just to be with you forever... it made you realise that he had what was left of his heart and soul poured into you.

That realisation was the final thing you needed. If William was going to love you so deeply and intensely, then you would match him. Nothing would ever separate you two. Nothing. You would love him wholeheartedly despite his unforgivable flaws. After everything considered, not even death frightened you anymore. If William truly did kill you, you knew now with a startling certainty that he would make sure you would be with him forever. He would make sure you were safe.

"What if I decided to make my decision now...?" You said thoughtfully, looking into his eyes. "I only took this job because there was so much pressure to succeed. I went through all of that training because my parents wanted me to and I was eager to please. Sure, it pays well, and getting horrible people put away for what they deserve is great and all, but it's not what I would consider a dream career. Being famous for putting someone that I care about to death is the last thing I want. I'm ready to do what it takes to prevent your execution." You said with conviction. "William, I want you in my life."

William looks over at you, wide-eyed, awestruck. He slowly and cautiously approached you in smooth fluid motions, as if he moved too fast he'd break the illusion or if he looked away you'd vanish away from him like a dream.