Chapter 25- Motherly Advice

I jiggled the key of my parent's house in the door knob until it release the locked allowing me to open the door. I shut the door as I heard my mother's voice ring out throughout the house. "I'm in the kitchen!"

The inside of the house looked nearly the same since the last time I was here. The only thing new that stood out to me was the decorative pot in the corner housing a plant about as tall I was. The house was the same beige paint and carpet, even though mom had talked about changing it up countless time. She loved the idea of hardwood floors, but I knew my father was against it because of how cold the floors could be. He never liked the cold.

I walked in the kitchen, my mom had her back to me, stirring something that smelt amazing on the stove. I took a seat at the bar just as she turned around. "I thought you were your father." She smiled but then it quickly disappeared as her eyes landed on my busted lip. Her happy expression turned to concerned. "What happened to your lip?"

"Hailey and I got into it." I said looking down at my hands in my lap. The ring still on my finger. On the way here I debated on whether I should take it off but I decided to leave it on. " A lot has happened since I last talked to you."

"You've barely called this last semester and I was wondering if something was up because you get distance if things aren't good. I didn't want to be the prying mother, so I waited until you came to me and here you are." She turned back around, turned the stove, and removed the pot she was stirring off the burner. "So what's going on?"

"Things are just a mess." I began fidgeting with the ring on my finger before lifting up my hand and showing her the ring. Her jaw dropped and she rushed around the counter to get a better luck. "I got married."

"I didn't even know you were serious with anyone!" She gasped. "Who with?

"Because I wasn't." I muttered. "I married Ashton."

"Is it because you're pregnant?"

"Oh no!" Wide eyed, I quickly shook my head. "This marriage was a result of too much liquor. I came to you because I don't know what to do."

"Only you two can make that decision, honey. How does he feel about it?

I took a deep breath and let it out. "He wants to try to make it work."

"And you don't?"

"We barely know each other. We've spent more time apart, not even talking because of stupid crap with Hailey. Plus I was dating someone else up until last night. All hell broke loose and next thing I knew it, I was on a plane to Vegas with Ashton and I woke up this morning with the ring."

"Marriage is an adventure. You're always going to be learning new things about your partner. Just the other day, I learned that you're father doesn't like apricots. It's impossible to know everything about someone but the journey of it is fun and exciting. You have feelings for him, right?"

"Yes and that's why I'm lost on what to do. I've always had the impression that you hit all these mile stones before you get married. We went from talking and hanging out a few times right to the alter. What about all the in between things?" My mother laughed and I frowned at her. "It's not funny."

"I know and I'm sorry but you are and alway have been the by the book type of person and you're also the type of person who is constantly thinking about the future. The future is uncertain no matter how much you try to plan it out. What you need now is to stop thinking about the future and focus on the present. Think about how you feel right now in this very moment. Do you want the annulment because you're scared of what could happen in the future?" She took me by the shoulders, looking me straight in the eyes. "Fuck the book and following it. You need to live by moments and taking risk."

"Yes. I'm stuck here with med school and he will be traveling and touring the world. I feel like that alone will doom the marriage. We'll never see each other."

"So you're going to have to work a tad bit harder at it. Your farther and I made it work when he traveled for work." My mother gave me a reassuring smile. "Anything is do-able if you truly want it deep down. Now I have to get this soup to a friend of mine who has been sick." She kissed the top of my head. "You can stay as long as you need. You're farther should be here any moment. You should probably tell him what you've decided."

"Who said Ive decided?" I asked her but all she did was smile. She knew me and she knew that I decided what I was going to do the moment she stopped talking. "You're good."

"I just know my daughter. Tell my son-in-law I said hi, will you?" She transferred the soup in a portable container and left the room without another word, only a big grin plastered on her face.

I hung around just longer enough to see my father. He arrived only moments after my mother left and I was immediately greeted with a hug. As I our hug ended, I felt tears forming in my eye and my father became concerned. I explained the last few months in the shortest way possible, sparing some of the details a father really shouldn't know. I could tell he was disappointed even though he was trying is best to hide it.

I told him my decision and he replied with a smile, "Do what you feel will make you happy."

A/N: I don't know if I'll update for a second time this week like I've been doing. I have a lot going on I'm just very overwhelmed. I'm the mean time, please show your love for this chapter and I'll get a second updated out if I can.