Chapter 2

I arrive home just as drops of rain start to fall on my windscreen. Damn it! It better not rain tomorrow.

Quickly rushing to the door, I enter it, and pull off my shoes, leaning on the warm radiator while doing so.

"Melissa?"

I turn to see my mum walking downstairs. She's wearing a v-low cut red dress that falls to her knees and give way more cleverage than necessary.

"You're late."

I frown. No I'm not, this is the time mum always makes dinner.

As if reading my mind, she quickly explains. "We're going to a restaurant tonight for dinner this time."

"Why?" We've never gone out together for dinner before; it was always at home.

"Max and I need to make a special announcement and it sounded suitable for the four of us to go out."

"What's the special... wait a minute! Why did you say the four of us?"

She beams. "Max's son, Caiden is joining us. It will be a very interesting evening."

I frown. I have never ever met this boy Caiden in my life. You'd think that since our parents are dating each other, we would at least have met. That's not the case at all with us. In fact I know nothing about him, apart from the fact he is the same age as me and plays quarterback for his school team.

"Then if Caiden is coming, then the announcement must be important. Tell me, what is it?" I stare intently in her eyes, trying to get her to break. Unfortunately, she seems to realise this and turns away before she blurts out anything.

"You should get ready right now before Max comes." She's facing the other way but I can tell that she's trying to hide a grin.

"But-"

"And he's coming in twenty minutes. So if you wanna take a quick shower, you better go now."

Fuck! Twenty minutes is too less of a time! I rush upstairs two at a time and grabbing my towel from my room, I head to the bathroom to take a shower.

Five minutes later, I rush out the bathroom, with my towel wrapped around me and attack my wardrobe. I really wish I had Helen with me right now.  She would know what to wear in a situation like this.

I spot a dress I wore at my aunts wedding and wrench it from the hanger, taking the tights that match it with my other hand. I slip the dress and tights on, tights with a little extra caution because its a pain in the ass to put on without ripping it, and I'm relieved they fit perfectly.

I kneel down under my bed, where I put my shoes, and grab the black 3 inch high heels. I really hope I don't fall tonight.