Ch. 21

"Pull the plug."

"Are you sure?" the nurse looked at me with worry.

"Yes! I'm sure. Now just do it already!" I say making my hands into fists. I'm so scared.

"Okay miss." wait, I change my mind. I don't want him to die!

"Wait!" I look at the nurse with a plug in her hand.

"I'm so sorry." she says. Almost in a whisper.

What now? I plop into the chair behind me waiting to see what will happen.

Beep

1 second

Beep

2 seconds

Beep

3 seconds

No more beeps.

"Time of death, March 28, 2013 11:36 pm." The nurse says as she's writing it down in a clipboard.

"I'll give you sometime."

I don't acknowledge her leaving. I just sit there staring at the lifeless body that lays in front of me on a bed that I suppose saw the day this would come. That bed, those sheets, these walls have seen so many deaths, heard so many flat lines, saw so many tears of so many family members. Now, they're Witnessing the death, hearing the flat line, of my best friend and love of my life. What am I going to do?

Beep

What was that? Mind please don't play tricks on me. I'm trying to mourn.

Beep

Oh my God I just heard it again. Can this really be happening?

Beep

Beep

Beep

I shoot up and run to the door.

"Nurse! I need help in here!"

Three different nurses run into the room and almost instantly hear the beeps. They all three run to get doctors. Almost like it was a race. Next thing I know there are doctors flooding the hospital room and a nurse walking me out side of it.

"Please stay out here for the time being miss." she goes to leave.

"Wait." I grab her arm. "what's going on?" she smiled.

"He's waking up."