T w e l v e

Arianna's POV

Ashley, Melissa and I are seated at Table 10 in the cafeteria, which is classified as where the lame people sit even though there are fifteen tables. Well, that's what everyone thinks.

We don't have a problem with it simply because a table is a table; it doesn't matter where it's placed as long as you can put your food on it and eat. It also doesn't matter if the people sitting at the table are popular or not.

I think there's no such thing as a person being lame.

I'm kind of sad because I really wanted to have my lunch whilst sitting on the lovely green grass, underneath my favourite tree. But it's pouring outside, so that's out of the question.

Lifting a forkful of beef lasagne to my mouth, I swallow it before reaching out to take another forkful. It tastes incredible. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

"Ari, we need to talk to you." Ashley says out of the blue, almost causing me to choke on my spit. The words "we need to talk" are giving me a mini heart attack since they're never associated with anything good.

I look at Melissa, who's sitting next to her, and attempt to figure out if she knows where Ashley's heading with this.

Her face is hard to read. Nonetheless, I still believe they were discussing me behind my back.

"What's wrong, guys?" I ask, my voice full of concern and utter disappointment. I try and rack my brain to think of something that I must've done wrong. Nothing appears in my mind.

"Why did you not tell us about Dylan?"

Ashley looks broken after asking this, her eyes searching mine for an answer.

I suddenly feel like hiding my face because I'm afraid she'll notice the bruises I got from that fight. Then another argument will come out of that, and our friendship will be jeopardised because of my secrecy.

But I don't dare to hide my face. It's coated with concealer so nobody will see a thing.

I steal a glance at Melissa, and see that she has the exact same expression as Ashley's. I avert their strong gaze, looking down at my lunch tray.

"Well, I-I—"

"You what?" Melissa cuts me off, almost aggressively. "You don't trust us?" She's speaking like this because she's hurt and angry. They both are. I understand I messed things up and they may never forgive me for this.

"Of course I do, and I really wanted to tell you but I couldn't. Dylan told me not to." I fib, playing with the strings of my black and white hoodie. Lying is easier for me when my hands are fiddling with something, I don't know why.

They're shocked as they take in my statement, probably not believing me and I won't blame them if they don't. "Why?" they ask at the same time.

I mentally sigh, and put on my best serious face, fixing my glasses. "Because he wanted to introduce himself at the party. He thought he'd gain your trust and acceptance better that way."

I'm lying to them again. I'm the worst friend ever.

After remaining silent for a while, their faces soften and Ashley gives me a grin. "Okay, we believe you, Ari."

"Yeah, and we're sorry for ever doubting you." Melissa smiles apologetically. "Can you find it somewhere in your heart to forgive us?"

I don't deserve them, honestly.

"Of course. Now let's finish our lunch."

A comfortable silence surrounds us while we're eating. I grab my juice box and tear off the straw from the back, taking it out of its plastic. Once I've completed that, I poke the little hole and sip on my orange juice.