Chapter Two

I could feel the heavy chain wrapped around my neck, my body naked and laid out on the dungeon floor. I felt heavy and weak. My eyes fluttered open, taking in the darkness of the cell I was locked in.

A cell, a spot, a place that I was all too familiar with. The walls were dampened with moisture and made of sandstone, while the floor was an uneven mess of concrete. There were several cell blocks in this part of the dungeon, all empty except for mine. There were no windows and the only light came from the cracks in the dungeon door where a guard was posted. The only other source of light was controlled by the light switch outside the cells. It was unnecessarily cold too.

I allowed a small whimper to make its way past my split lips as my body shivered and I made an attempt to move. I was cold and the position I was in, put too much pressure on my wounded torso.

Pain.

Shooting pains ran up my spine, healing skin stretched unwillingly at my pitiful attempted to right myself. My legs, uncooperative given their pathetic state made the task even more difficult. Alpha had truly punished me. Although I was a fast healer, sometimes wounds still took an unseemly long time to heal if I was wounded enough. I closed my eyes against the pain and tried to breathe through it, adjusting

'Alpha said I'd be here for two weeks...' My heart sank at the realization of just how long I'd be kept here for.

Whenever I was banished to this part of the pack house my meals would only come once every 2 sometimes 3 days. The pack has always been busy and it wasn't their fault that they'd forget to bring me food. The only problem I had was water, but thankfully the corners of the cell collected puddles from the moisture of the walls dripping down and settling in certain areas. It was enough to keep me going until they brought me what I was allowed to eat and drink.

With a little more effort I pushed against the floor and was able to get myself into a more comfortable position. My back rested against the cold wall and I arranged my legs in front of me. My hand shakily made its way to the collar and felt the chain that connected it to somewhere along the wall. Although my sense of smell was heightened by eyesight and hearing wasn't much better than that of your average humans.

A small sigh left me. I was never allowed free roam of my cell. Alpha said it was due to the fact that I was unpredictable. So certain precautions have always been taken to ensure that I stayed far away from the opening of my cell.

The chain and collar were made of silver, one of the few things in this world that seemed to truly hurt us werewolves. I've learned that as long as I didn't yank on the collar it wouldn't hurt my skin too much. After two weeks of wearing it however, I knew my skin would be grotesquely blistered.

Closing my eyes I breathed in steadily, wrapping my arms around myself in an attempt to preserve my body heat. I could feel a lump form in my throat and the backs of my eyes sting. There were times my body would get emotional. I never understood why this would happen. I had a good life filled with protection, so why my body always felt fear and why it'd at times leaked water was beyond my limited comprehension. I was never alone, the pack was just doors away from me, Alpha usually had me see him once a day, some days I wouldn't be punished and get a pat on the head. Not every day was grand, I'll be honest. Sometimes I didn't make it down to chow hall in time and the pack members on kitchen duty already had everything cleaned up. Those days I would go to bed hungry, but other days I was allowed to lick the plates clean. I also tended to break certain rules, even when I don't mean to. Those were all my fault though. There were other omegas out there who probably didn't have a generous pack as I had, so I didn't want to be ungrateful when everyone was always so kind to me.

Taking in a shuddering breath I opened my eyes back up and just stared at the ceiling thinking over everything the Alpha had said.

'I should be shifting tonight.' Without a clock, I wasn't sure what the time was, but werewolves tended to change around midnight. I've heard the painful howls of others going through the change, and I could only hope I would be able to keep my voice down. Usually, a family member or potential mate is there to help guide the newly shifted through the process. I've overheard in lectures that it was important to run with your wolf after a shift to solidify your bond so you wouldn't go rabid. A rabid wolf was very dangerous.