xxix.

"everything's fine

"everything's fine. i got a text from him this morning."
stiles attempted to reassure the two freshmen at his heels.
"he said he might be a little late."
"well, how late is late? is he always late?"
liam fired questions at the hyperactive boy.
"no,"
teddy shook her head.
"he's never late. and we're playing devenford prep again, and this time, it's an actual game."
the youngest mccall sighed.
"he— he shouldn't be late."
in liam's panic, he attracted the attention of coach finstock, who, thankfully, overlooked the sight of teddy in the boy's locker room— again.
"who shouldn't be late?"
stiles threw an accusatory glare at liam, who bowed his head, before sighing.
"scott and kira."
liam admitted sheepishly.
"they might be slightly late."
stiles reaffirmed.
"wh-wha-what?"
coach stammered, taken aback.
"slightly late is still late. what are they doing?"
stiles' eyebrows shot up as he licked his lips slowly.
"they're doing something that's going to make them slightly late."
the hyperactive boy scratched at the back of his neck out of nervous habit as teddy cringed, knowing what stiles was inferring.
coach wasn't getting it.
"what could scott and kira be doing right now that's more important than playing in the first game?"
his voice rose as he spoke, and teddy winced a little at the increase in volume.
liam and stiles turned to face each other slowly, both sets of eyebrows raised.
teddy was very conscious of liam's hand intertwined with her own as silence overtook the locker room.
"oh, coach."
stiles sighed slowly.
><
teddy's eyes fell to the floor, where her's and liam's hands rested as they sat on the stairs.
"i'm worried."
the brunette spoke softly, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.
"scott, he's been miss—"
she caught herself.
"he's been gone for over twelve hours. this isn't like him. stiles said he text him, but he hasn't text me, or mom. i know the dead pool's over, but there's still people who would give money to see scott killed, let alone get paid for his death."
inhaling sharply, teddy halted, forcing her brown eyes up to meet liam's blue ones.
"should i be worried?"
she asked him, her teeth sinking into her lip nervously.
the blonde boy exhaled heavily, reaching out for teddy's hand and holding it in his own.
his gaze never dipped from teddy's hazel orbs.
"a month ago, i could have easily told you 'no, you don't need to be worried'. but after everything we've been through, with the assassins round every corner, i don't think i can safely say to you that we're okay. i'm worried, too."
when liam spoke, he wished with all his heart he could tell teddy that scott would be safe, and they were all fine.
but he couldn't lie.
not now.
so, instead, he pulled the girl into a warm hug, letting her rest her head upon his shoulder.
the only reassurance he could provide was a small kiss to teddy's temple, telling the girl he would always be there with her.
><
as the floodlights flashed on, illuminating the pitch in a bright light, teddy didn't need to be supernatural to hear liam's heartbeat.
it pounded in his chest as he tried to ignore the green vested players flinging their nets back and forth.
his eyes wandered the pitch, scouring for a sign of the alpha or the kitsune, as his knee bounced nervously.
with a small smile, teddy rested her hand against liam's jumping knee, causing a falter in the boy's actions.
liam threw the girl a halfhearted smile— the most he could muster right then— and let his hand rest atop of her's on his leg.
then, liam turned to face stiles worriedly.
"they're still not here."
"okay, what's really going on?"
stiles finally questioned, sharing a glance with teddy.
the sibling-like pair both sensed something deeper upsetting the beta than the absence of his alpha.
"are you nervous about the full moon? it's not for another twenty four hours."
he asked, zipping up his bag.
liam huffed unhappily, only comforted by teddy's presence, and the feeling of her hand against his leg.
the boy glanced up at the moon, which shone through the clouds, casting silver shadows over stiles' face.
"liam, you're gonna be fine, okay?"
teddy soothed, her eyes meeting his startling blue ones, which were now pooled with fear.
"i'm sure you won't rage out on anyone, with teddy here, you know. i'm assuming she's your anchor?"
stiles added.
instantly, teddy's gaze dropped and her cheeks reddened as liam's eyebrows knitted together.
"what's an anchor?"
he asked, becoming aware of teddy's racing heartbeat.
stiles simply sighed.
"your anchor, is the thing that keeps you human. normally, it's someone you love, that reminds you not to go all crazy. the person you care most about."
"scott's was allison."
teddy murmured, hyper aware of her contact with the blonde boy.
suddenly, liam's grip on teddy's hand became tighter, causing the girl to look up, into his blue eyes.
"i think you are my anchor."
he admitted truthfully, his voice low.
teddy's heart skipped a beat at the boy's words as she slowly leaned her forehead against his.
"then what do you have to worry about?"
she whispered lightly.
stiles coughed, ruining the moment.
"i'm not worried, i'm mildly concerned. mildly."
the pair moved away from each other as stiles arched an eyebrow, questioningly.
his gaze turned to liam.
"so when did you stop making lovey eyes at her from across the classroom and grow a pair?"
he asked.
teddy's eyebrows raised, her eyes full of humour.
"you know i'm right here?"
"last week."
liam answered, keeping his hand on teddy's so she couldn't move away.
not that she was planning on it, anyway.
"does scott know?"
stiles asked, pursing his lips.
at this, liam turned his gaze to teddy, attempting to hide his concern.
teddy pursed her lips in return before answering.
"i don't know."
she answered truthfully.
"he knows there's something, but whether he knows what—"
teddy shrugged,
"i'm not sure."
number twenty four let out a low, short laugh.
"so, no, he doesn't."
liam's eyebrows came together slowly.
"how do you know?"
a maniacal grin played on stiles' lips when he answered.
"because you, baby wolf, would be dead."
liam swallowed thickly, eager to change the subject whilst teddy held back a laugh.
stiles placed his phone back in his bag.
"we're gonna lose without him."
"no, we're not. we can be just as good without scott, okay? i've been practising. let me tell you something, i'm getting good,
really good."
teddy's attempt to stifle a snort was to no avail, earning her a glare from the sheriff's son.
she mumbled an apology and ducked her head low, focusing on where her hand rested against liam's cool skin.
with the sharp blow of a whistle, all three teenagers sat upright, startled.
"the game is beginning and our only good players are missing!"
coach bellowed, his eyes falling on liam and stiles, who both looked hurt by his comment.
neither responded, though, when his shrill whistle rang through the air once again.
"blondie, bilinski, get on the field!"
finstock screamed, and both boys jumped up.
"i'll see you after the ga—"
liam started, but coach's whistle let out another long blast as he aimed his finger at teddy.
"you— mccall!— fill in for- uh- mccall!"
liam's eyes widened at the small smirk that formed on teddy's face when she was tossed a spare eleven jersey.
"you play lacrosse?"
"heck yes she does!"
stiles cheered.
"i've been wondering why she didn't try out for years! how do you think scott got so good?— he made teddy practise with him everyday!"
the comment caused teddy to think back to the beginning of her freshman year, at lacrosse tryouts.
she could play, hell, she was beyond good at the sport.
it always surpassed melissa as to why, it clearly didn't run in the family.
the fact was simple, though.
teddy hadn't tried out because she didn't want to attract any attention to herself.
she was happy as she was.
better not to play a game in front of hundreds of teenagers with sharp tongues and no need for motives.
almost half a year on, here she was, pulling the cool fabric over her head whilst the hottest guy in freshman year— her boyfriend— stared at her, open mouthed.
"let's do this."
><
the game began, and it was beyond obvious that stiles was not 'really good' as he had stated before.
devenford prep played brutally, knocking both stiles and liam down without mercy.
with only two minutes left in the first half, teddy rounded up for the centre pass.
she was the only team member actually doing well throughout the duration of the match— which wasn't surprising, other than the fact that liam couldn't stay on his feet for longer than a second.
teddy eyed up her opponent, bending her knees and straightening her shoulders.
the other player did the same before lifting his head, and stumbling back in shock.
"teddy?"
the whistle pierced the air, and teddy ran, leaving brett, dumbfounded, in the middle of the pitch.
stakes were high as the brunette sprinted down the field, dodging the emerald enemy.
"go, teddy!"
she heard liam whoop from down the field, and a smile formed on her face, which was beaded with sweat.
with five foot of the pitch left, teddy swung her stick, and the ball flew into the goal cleanly.
"come on!"
coach jeered at the other team, even sticking his tongue out at devenford's coach.
the clock hit zero, and the referees whistle sounded, as teddy pulled off her helmet, strands her brown hair astray.
liam came up behind teddy, wrapping his arms around the girl and pulling her over to the bench.
teddy smiled warmly as he span her around and pressed his lips to her's happily.
"you were amazing! you are amazing!"
liam managed as the pair pulled away.
blush coated teddy's cheeks.
with a cough, stiles interrupted the freshmen.
"alright, neither of them are answering."
he said, taking a seat on the bench.
"i gotta go see what's going on."
"you're leaving?"
liam panicked.
"what are you going to tell coach?"
"i'm leaving, too."
teddy added, standing up.
"this is my brother we're talking about here."
stiles shook his head at teddy, but his eyes were focused on coach's mad rage.
"no, teddy. you stay. and as for you, liam, you don't tell him anything."
"but-"
teddy started, but she swallowed slowly when she saw liam's face.
"liam, you're going to be okay, alright?"
stiles offered the boy a small smile.
"teddy will stay with you."
teddy blinked, torn between who to help; her boyfriend or her brother.
"go,"
she said to stiles, her voice hoarse.
"find him."
the brown haired boy gave teddy a curt nod before racing off at the blow of a whistle.
liam and teddy stood, readying themselves for the game.
"i'm sorry, teds."
liam started,
"you should go; find scott."
teddy placed her hands on liam's shoulders, facing the boy.
"i'm staying here, with you."
she said, having made up her mind.
right now, she couldn't be much help to her brother, but she could help liam.
"come on,"
teddy smiled, kissing liam quickly as the whistle blew again.
"i'm not leaving you."
><
a sharp roar echoed around the pitch as brett came hurtling towards liam.
the blonde boy froze in fear as many green clad players tore down the pitch, their eyes locked on him.
in amongst them all, the beserkers went unidentified by anyone but liam.
the clacking of their bone hides reverberated around the pitch, sending chills up the beta's spine, as he stood there, paralysed.
with wide, fearful eyes, liam watched as the claw of the closest berserker jutted through the front of brett's shirt.
blood poured from the fatal wound, as brett choked and stumbled.
liam's face fell, his skin becoming white as indistinguishable yelling clouded his ears.
"liam! for the love of god, move!"
liam's tear pooled eyes clamped shut as he shook his head, and brett ran past him, a frown distorting his perfect face.
the blonde turned and watched as the game continued, and devenford scored again.
teddy sprinted up beside liam, clutching the boy's shoulder worriedly.
"li, you okay?"
liam swallowed thickly.
"yeah, yeah."
he nodded.
"i'm okay."
the brunette's eyes softened.
"i'll talk to you after the game, okay?"
she mumbled, placing her hand against his chest lightly, her touch calming the boy instantly.
receiving a gentle nod in return, teddy mccall sprinted off, assuming her position against brett in the centre.
the curly haired wolf's cocky smile faltered when he saw teddy back in the centre.
instead of questioning the girl's location on the pitch like he wished to, he furrowed his neat brows.
"what's got into your little boyfriend, huh?"
he asked, spinning his stick in his hands.
teddy shook her head, her oversized helmet jostling on her shoulders.
"i don't know."
she admitted slowly.
"he's been like this for a while, he won't tell me what's up."
"let me talk to him. i'll see if i can get anything out of him."
brett's eyes met teddy's warmly as he sympathised with the girl.
as much as he had disliked liam, he definitely felt for teddy.
not romantically, no, but platonically.
slowly, his warm gaze fell into a smirk.
"you didn't deny him being your boyfriend."
brett talbot took off with the ball in his net.
within seconds, the ball was in liam's net.
this time, the boy didn't hesitate as he tore down the field, dodging the other team with smooth manoeuvres until brett's tall stature collided with his shoulder.
the blue eyed boy went down with a sickening crunch, and teddy began to run towards the pair.
"what the hell did you do that for?"
liam yelled, ripping off his helmet.
"because you're afraid. i can smell it on you from across the field."
brett answered simply.
"are you hurt?"
he asked.
"no."
liam answered indignantly.
"are you still alive?"
"obviously!"
"then get up!"
brett's voice raised, and liam crawled up from the floor just as teddy reached them.
"brett!"
she hissed, eyeing liam up and down, her helmet hanging by her side.
"are you okay?"
"i'm fine."
liam assured her, placing a discreet kiss to her temple, trying to hide his nervous eyes.
the ref appeared beside the trio, questioning the boy's, but they both agreed to continue to play.
liam glowered as brett ran off cockily, pulling his helmet over his head harshly.
"li,"
teddy said, her hand clasping his.
"he only did it because he's worried about you."
liam scoffed.
"because i'm worried about you.."
"after the game."
liam breathed, squeezing teddy's hand.
the brunette sighed, following her boyfriend back onto the pitch.
><
"you okay?"
liam's eyed flicked up to see brett, hovering over him.
liam was slumped on the bench in the boy's locker room, delaying the impending conversation he had to have with his girlfriend.
the blue eyed boy sighed.
"we lost."
"but you're okay, right?"
brett repeated, knowing liam was doggedly avoiding a truthful answer.
liam scoffed.
"why'd you do that? why'd you help me?"
"because of teddy,"
brett admitted.
"she saved me. she saved all of us."
the curly haired boy sighed.
"do you know how lucky you are?"
liam blinked.
"what do you mean?"
"to have a true alpha like scott. to have a strong, bold, brave girlfriend, like teddy."
brett answered.
"you're not strong because you can lift a lot of weight now. you're strong because you endure. you're strong because you have them."
liam's gaze dropped to the floor at brett's words, but the wolf continued anyway.
"satomi calls it strength of character."
his lips pursed.
"you're lucky to have her."
"and i'm lucky to have him."
teddy mccall stepped into the locker room, her brown hair now pulled back into a messy ponytail.
she smiled smally at brett, unsure of what to do.
stifling a small laugh, brett opened his arms out, gesturing for teddy to enter.
biting her lip, teddy accepted brett's small hug.
she stepped back, and brett ruffled her hair, smirking.
"don't worry, dunbar. i'm not moving in on your girl."
he smiled, before giving a small wave an exiting the locker room.
teddy sat down beside liam.
cautiously, teddy's hand crept onto liam's leg, her other intertwining their fingers, so she was sat almost facing the boy.
"what's going on, liam?"
the girl hushed softly, leaning forward and resting her forehead against his.
liam swallowed slowly, licking his lips out of nervous habit.
and he told her everything.
how his nightmares weren't just nightmares.
everything that was happening to liam came out to teddy in one hurried breath.
"oh, liam,"
was all teddy could manage before she pressed her lips to his.
the kiss was warm and passionate, and melted liam's fears away.
he maybe wasn't safe, but he was okay.
he was happy, with the girl that he loved.
without breaking the kiss, teddy placed one of her legs over liam's as he pulled her onto his lap.
her hands caressed his cheeks protectively as liam's hands held teddy's waist.
teddy moved her lips in sync with liam, her body pressed flush against his.
finally, the pair parted, and teddy pecked liam's lips gently once more.
"do you want to stay at mine tonight?"
she breathed, her cheeks reddening as she became over-aware of liam's hands on her thighs.
not that she wanted them to move.
she didn't.
those simple words told liam everything he needed to hear, but he simply shook his head.
"scott.."
teddy's face fell, and liam realised his mistake hurriedly.
softly, he pushed a strand of the girl's long hair behind one of her small ears, before pressing a kiss just below it.
"never mind, i'll stay.."
teddy's body didn't seem to relax, so liam placed one final kiss upon her lips.
"stiles will call."
teddy nodded lightly.
"stiles will call."

(authors note!)
happy 2019 guys, i hope this year is your year to shine! i'm also very aware i've been writing this book for like eight months, but i'm almost done. i hope to finish it whilst i'm off school this next week, but if any of you would like me to consider writing a sequel, please comment! at the moment, i don't think i will, as teen wolf fics have decreased massively in popularity since the end of teen wolf, and this book is not very far along when it comes to reads and votes. that hardly matters to me though as long as you guys are enjoying it, because i know i am. have a great 2019,
love hattie x