One....

***

She sat at the edge of the bed. It was the second day after their wedding and still, he hadn't had a proper conversation with her. Not because she was a stranger or anything but because, he couldn't shake off the feeling just yet that he couldn't be in wedlock with the one he ought to. Everything was still a blur to him.

"Why aren't you coming to bed?" He asked after a while of hesitation. He probably knew what she was going through and it was going to take her a while to let it all sink in. Imagine being surprised with a life partner, not just any but the one that should be calling out vows to your cousin instead.

She sighed and turned to him and he only hoped that she could see he was really concerned about her. But when she looked at him, instead she saw relaxation and calmness. Quite the irony of herself at the moment and she only frowned the more. How was it possible, she thought, that he was so calm about everything? He should be angry, frustrated and livid that he didn't get married to her cousin but he was calm?!

"You don't want this marriage, do you? How are you so calm about everything? For goodness sake Daniel, all of this is disturbing." She told him and he sighed in tiredness.

"It's the middle of the night Clarissa and you talk about this now? You know I think you're just stressed out, the least you can do is getting rest."

Rest?! She almost scoffed out loud. This was exactly what she was implying when she said that he was a little too calm about this whole thing. Too calm that it was already confusing her.

"Won't you come to bed?" He asked. Instead, she turned to him and said, "I need to be alone for a while, I'll come to bed when I'm ready."

Lying back on the bed, he gave a tired yawn. "Suit yourself." He muttered before shutting his eyes immediately to sleep. The gesture was enough to get her to stare at him for quite a while. She took her attention away from him when it was evident that he had fallen asleep.

Perfect! She was going to spend the rest of her life with a guy who couldn't stand a conversation with her. Just perfect!

Probably, a guy who was in love with another.

____

Daniel rolled over immediately furrowing his brows at the morning sun that managed to penetrate the curtains. He groaned in discomfort before letting his eyes open. The first thing he noticed, was the feeling of loneliness and the cold side of the bed. Slightly, he was upset and worried at the same time. Looking around the room for where she could be, his eyes eventually landed on the sleeping figure on the couch. For first, there was no need to be worried after all, he almost thought she pulled through with the idea of not sleeping.

As if she could!

And for second, he couldn't make out why he wasn't glad that she slept on the couch. Yesterday, she was fine with it. She even fell asleep before him. He had no problem at all seeing that she was tired from all the activities. And today, she sleeps on the couch, confusing! He sighed and got out of bed.

"Clarissa," and that was all he needed to wake her up. She slowly opened her eyes and covered her self more with her blanket. Her eyes darted around until they finally landed on him. He gave her a soft smile which she returned without much hesitation.

"I didn't mind you sleeping on it." She frowned in confusion but he gestured to the bed to ease her of her confusion.

"Oh, I thought it made you uncomfortable, that's why, but it's fine I'd totally preferred the couch."

"I insist but if you think you can manage you should make yourself comfortable at least, get yourself some pillows." He said and she nodded.

---