Age is just a number, after all. (Chapter 5)

Your steps seemed to echo as you walked down the hallway. You felt like everyone was staring at you behind your back even though they probably weren't. Looking down, you made your way to the classroom safely.

Without losing a single word, you sat down. It was math class again. You had tried to blur out your surroundings to avoid any eye contact, especially with Jakob, who you weren't even sure was present.

Your head felt much, much better. Occasionally, it would throb a little bit but it went away quickly most of the time. You stared at the front where the teacher was writing down something on the blackboard, and nearly missed taking notes because your thoughts were racing through different dimensions.

With a tiny bit of cold sweat on your back, you tried to listen for Jakob. You had to know whether he was there or not. Then, you were able to make out a low voice asking another student something about the math problem which was discussed at that moment and you were quite certain that it had been Jakob's voice. Great.

Even though he had gotten into a lot of trouble and was scolded really bad, you feared that he wouldn't stop. You feared that he'd do even worse things from that moment on because he was mad at you. Even though he rather should be mad at himself, you thought. He was the one pushing you around and making you fall, after all. The throbbing in your head started again. You didn't make any sense.

You lost track of time and the class ended sooner than you'd expected. As the bell rang, you remained numb, staring into nothingness. You'd probably have to pass him now. You didn't want to stay seated or pack your things extra slowly because you didn't want to stand out or even be the last one to go because you hated making teachers wait and you hated feeling their stares on your neck.

So you decided to just pack your things and leave as quickly as possible, without looking at anyone, just walking straight out of the room. Then, when you finally got up and walked towards the door, you met eyes with a person standing at the side. It was Jakob. Time seemed to be slowed down for that moment. You couldn't really tell what his look told you. It was pretty vain and didn't really speak at all but it was slightly unsettling. Maybe because you couldn't read anything out of it. You quickly averted your gaze and stepped outside the room. You exhaled.

Even though you were glad you had just been able to pass him without anything happening, his gaze wouldn't leave your mind. It seemed like he had been numbed or restrained, strictly forbidden to interact with you in any way.

And it stayed like this for at least one week.

Your head was basically entirely healed now and you had less and less trouble to fully focus on class. Knowing that Jakob wouldn't be nagging you was relaxing. But still, you were waiting for something to happen. You knew it just couldn't be over.

That afternoon you remembered that you hadn't texted Mr. Harket in a few days. He had asked you to give him updates on your well-being.

You started typing.

You stopped when you wondered, if you should ask about Jakob. His behavior had been very much in your favour; however, you knew something wasn't right. He had changed in general. He wasn't all that loud anymore.

"Dear Mr. Harket,

I'm doing better with each day. My head has entirely recovered. This question may be strange, but how is Jakob doing?

Greetings
(y/n)"

Sympathizing with your bully was the last thing you wanted to do. You just had a weird feeling in your gut. You were doing your homework, when your phone buzzed.