Age is just a number, after all. (Chapter 15)

"So, now what?"

"Huh?"

The question caught you off guard.

While you were still looking for an answer, Mr. Harket started looking around in your room. It made you a little nervous but your room was fairly tidy, so at least there wasn't a mess he could encounter.

It seemed like he would just look at a certain spot for a very long time, but as you looked closer, you could see his eyes moving around. He was scanning your room for details, with an excited sparkle in his eyes. You feared he might end up disappointed. There wasn't too much exciting stuff in your room.

You watched as he gently let his fingers slide across the top of your desk, the rim of your wardrobe, the decorative frame of your mirror, the back of your chair. It seemed as if he was mesmerized by your room's interior. You captured every movement of him, every little shift and turn. His broad figure moved slowly but with so much precision that it appeared as if every move was planned and rehearsed. You could barely see is muscles shift beneath his shirt. It made you wonder about him again. Even though he had already given you a lot of insight in his life and his emotional realm, he still seemed like a distant mystery to you at times.

Your daydreaming made you miss how he turned his attention back to you again. He caught you staring off into the distance, pondering.

You only snapped out of it, when he was standing right in front of you, barely even one-foot distance between the two of you.

"Is something bothering you?", he asked.

"Oh, n-no, I was just... thinking."

"About what?", he asked, stepping a little closer.

"Nothing in particular", you said, shrugging a little, "Really."

"Don't lie to me, dear. I noticed your stares."

You couldn't help but blush, which made him chuckle.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to stare."

"No need to apologize. I'll take it as a compliment", he said with a wink.

Something about that wink made you shiver.

"So, uhm, what are we gonna do now?", you asked while trying to change the subject.

Mr. Harket wouldn't move.

"I'm not sure. I do enjoy being in your room, though. It's cozy and interesting to look around. Besides, isn't that what young people do?"

"What do you mean?"

You could see a moment of hesitation in his eyes, before the usual spark returned.

"Hanging around in their rooms, rather than the living room?"

"Oh well, I guess that depends on the person. I do mostly spend time in my room though, especially when no-one else is home."

"I figured as much", he started, subtly biting his lip in between, "But let's say, I'm... not me. Younger, perhaps. Your age."

You raised one eyebrow, looking at him questioningly.

"Yes, let's just imagine, we're two young souls, doing what young souls do."

"I don't think you have ever sounded as old as you did just now. Please don't ever talk like that again."

He threw his head back a little and laughed. "Well, I'm sorry. I'm just trying to get something through here."

"Maybe it will be painless if you just try being more direct."