Age is just a number, after all. (Chapter 17)

You did as you had been told and stepped into the small bathroom, tossed your clothes aside and stepped into the shower.

The water shot out of the shower head and you were hit by liquid ice, or at least that's how it felt; although you had to admit that the stained parts of your skin liked it.

After a while the water turned warm. You made sure to properly rinse every spot that could have been or has been hit by the bleach. When you were done, you stepped out and dried yourself off with a towel. The spots on your neck and chest ached horribly when the towel touched them. You turned around and met a mirror. The sight shocked you.

You stepped closer to examine yourself.

There was a deep red mark stretching from your neck down onto your chest, ending in little spots almost down to you belly button. It looked like your skin had been kissed by a flame. You swallowed. Was bleach really that aggressive?

From outside, you heard the muffled voice of the nurse. "Are you done? Can I come in?"

"Uh, yeah, sure."

She opened the door carefully and slowly, making sure not to startle or expose you. When she saw you were wrapped in a towel, she relaxed.

"Good. Now let me see that- oh dear..."

She closely examined your mark with a deeply worried expression.

"Jesus Christ... are you sure that it was bleach? Were you in chemistry class?"

You shrugged a little. "No, actually, I opened my locker and when I opened it, a cup of this liquid spilled all over me. But I'm pretty sure I didn't put it there..."

"That sounds like a foul prank, if you ask me", the nurse said and raised one eyebrow, looking at you.

"I honestly wouldn't know who would be capable of this. The only thing I know is that I didn't do it myself."

"It's alright, sweetie. We will take care of that later."

She took another look at your damaged skin.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but I will have to call an ambulance for that."

"Oh, no, please-"

"Don't fight it. I have to. This is a serious chemical burn and I cannot treat that with my humble school nurse equipment."

"Ah, god. I'm- I'm so sorry..."

"Don't apologize. It was not your fault, OBVIOUSLY, and this is my job. I put some spare clothes up for you. If your underwear is unharmed, I would ask you to put it back on. Actually, you can put every piece of clothing back on that didn't get bleach on it."

"Alright, thank you."

The nurse nodded and left the room to make a call. Meanwhile you started putting on the clothes that had remained untouched and the spare clothes the nurse gave you. Your underpants, socks and your pants have remained untouched, although there were tiny sprinkles of bleach on your pants, but they were barely enough to get down to skin level.

Your top and bra were mercilessly splattered with the nasty liquid, so you had to put them aside for now and the spare shirt had to do the trick.

You coughed a little and exited the bathroom. You were met by a frantic Caroline.

"There you are! How are you feeling?", she asked, rushing towards you. When she noticed your mark, she stopped dead in her tracks. "Oh dear... oh no...."

Tears were dwelling up in the corners of her eyes and she covered her mouth with her hands. "This looks really bad, (y/n). Does it hurt a lot?"

"First of all, thank you for the compliment", you said, cracking a smile, "And second of all, yes, it does hurt. It probably feels just what it looks like. It burns and itches and at the same time feels dry, even though it's probably not."