Age is just a number, after all. (Chapter 14)

You managed to get ready in the speed of light (or at least it felt like it) and look pretty okay nonetheless. While waiting for Mr. Harket to arrive, you became a little nervous. Hopefully your mum wouldn't come back because she forgot something.

With your thoughts racing and your receding patience, you paced up and down the living room. You were ready for him to arrive. No, you were not ready at all.

The conversation that would be inevitable was what worried you.

How would you tell him?

Then, your thoughts were interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

It's him, you thought.

With a lump in your throat, you walked to the door. Your hand was shaking as you grabbed the doorhandle and slowly opened the door.

Outside, the sun was shining and you were greeted by bright light. Your eyes had trouble adjusting to it, but they were soon able to distinguish a figure standing in front of you, being framed by the rays of light. It was Mr. Harket.

As soon as he saw you, a smile crept on his face, flexing his jawline and letting his eyes light up with a spark.

"Good day to you. Is the sun a little too bright?"

You carefully rubbed your eyes. "Yes, a little. I was expecting something like yesterday's weather."

A low chuckle escaped his throat. "Me too. But isn't a little sunshine way better? Lifts the mood a little."

"I guess so. Please, come in", you said and made way for him to enter your house.

He nodded thankfully and stepped in, letting you close the door behind him. The two of you made your way to the living room.

"Ah, I didn't really prepare anything, so there's no lunch or special snacks. I didn't have the time, I'm sorry. But I can offer you something to drink at least", you stuttered, carefully trying to break the silence.

"It's alright, (y/n). I will be fine. I don't need anything for now."

"Alright then."

You slowly came to a halt in the living room. As you wanted to turn around, you felt heavy hands setting down on your shoulders from behind.

"I want to be honest with you, dear. I've been dreading this conversation as much as I have been looking forward to seeing your face again so soon. Your message yesterday made me worried", he said, his voice merely a whisper.

"I'm sorry to make you worry. Something has been on my mind since yesterday and I'm actually very glad that you want to talk."

"Is that so? Why don't you start, then? I will listen. Let's sit down."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The two of you sat down on the sofa with some tea.

"I've talked to my little sister yesterday, since she broke her arm in kindergarten, and I wanted to know how it came to be. She said that she ran outside because the children were playing hide-and-seek, and she tripped over an object, a big branch I think, that hadn't been there before. And she fell onto her arm. Now, she wasn't a hundred percent sure, but she said that through tears she saw someone standing behind the low fence, looking down at her. She said that it was 'that boy from before'."

Mr. Harket furrowed his brows. "Someone she has seen before?"

"Yes... now, I didn't want to mention it, since it wasn't too bad. But a while ago, relatively soon after the incident at school had happened, Mia told me about a boy my age speaking to her during outside-time. She said that he mocked me and talked badly about me, trying to bring her down along the way. When I asked her to describe what he looked like, well...", you said, stopping to look Mr. Harket in the eyes. "Take a guess."