Age is just a number, after all. (Chapter 12)

Rain was pouring down onto you like a hundred waterfalls as the two of you ran towards, what you believed, was Mr. Harket's car. The rain was almost like a wall of water, limiting your sight immensely. In this wet maze, Mr. Harket was your guiding light, as his silhouette was walking in front of you, tightly grasping your hand so you wouldn't get lost.

Soon enough, you reached his car. He let go off your hand to look for his keys. When he found them, they slipped right out of his hand again and fell to the ground. After a few more seconds he managed to open up the car and the two of you jumped in.

As the last of the two car doors fell shut, the noise of the rain became muffled and changed into the sound of rain falling onto the car. The sighed in relief and went silent for a few seconds, then looked at each other. It began with a twitch of your mouth and continued with a wide grin on his face, and lastly ended with the two of you laughing out loud. It was partly the situation and partly the way you looked: both of you were soaked.

His laugh was warm and vibrated through the car, as he shook his head and ran a few fingers through his hair. You watched drops and tiny streets of water running down his nose, his temples and his cheeks; all connecting at his jawline and rolling all the way to his chin, where they faintly whispered their goodbyes as they fell from his face. It was a mesmerizing sight to behold.

You, on the other hand, where pretty sure you looked like bad excuse of a wet poodle or a wet Pomeranian. To lighten up a little, you shook your head as well, and loosened up your hair a little. The laughter had faded to awkward silence again and you cleared your throat.

"Should we get going then?"

He nodded.
"Yes, I should probably get you home. I don't want you to catch a cold."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As you left the town, the rain only seemed to get worse to the point where you had to drive much slower than the speed limit. You were driving on a country road, when the rainfall reached its apparent high.

"I'm afraid I can't keep driving at this rate. The rain is way too heavy, it's too dangerous", Mr. Harket said.

You looked at him, slightly concerned. "I see. I've been wondering how you can drive in such a weather."

"Barely."

He pulled over into a small road that led to a parking spot in front of a forest. A few of the trees sheltered the car from the rain. However, you could still hear the noises of the rain falling down on the ground.

Mr. Harket pulled the hand break and leaned back. "I guess now we'll have to wait a bit."

You stared outside the window, fascinated by the massive rain. "Yeah..."

After a while, you noticed someone gently taking your hand and holding it. Surprised, you turned your head to the side. Mr. Harket sat there, looking at you with a small smile, giving your hand a gentle squeeze. A few seconds went by without anyone of you saying anything.

The smile left his face and he looked unsure all of a sudden. "Too much?"

You snapped out of it. "No, no it's alright. I was just distracted by the rain and my brain took its sweet time", you said.

He laughed. "A bit of a scatterbrain today, are we?"

"Yes, I'm sorry. Sometimes I kind of space out."

"That's alright. I know that feeling all too well...", he said with his gaze wandering off into the distance.

"You do?"