Age is just a number, after all. (Chapter 20)

In that moment, time stood still. You were looking at him in disbelief, unable to say anything.

He returned the gaze, seemingly without any facial expression that would tell you something about his emotional state.

It was several seconds of the two of you just plainly staring at each other. Then, after a while, you managed to make a sound.

"Uh, hello", you said shyly and slightly raised your hand to wave him hello. The corners of your mouth twitched up, giving a small smile.

Nothing happened. A few more seconds of silence followed. However, you were able to see movement in his eyes.

Instead of answering, he leapt forward vigorously, almost making you fall. But he caught you with both of his arms and pulled your, in comparison, tiny frame in a tight embrace. You almost disappeared beneath his body; he held you almost as if he was trying to shield you or hide you from the rest of the world. It seemed like he wanted to push you into himself, to keep you forever.

You, on the other hand, were way too startled by his sudden action. Squeezed tightly like a doll, you were unable to move in his bear hug like embrace. Your nostrils filled with his smell once again, after a long time, and it gave you a feeling of nostalgia and safety.

You stayed like this for a long time. You didn't count the seconds, but you also didn't need to.

After a while, he let go of you, but grabbed your shoulders and held you in front of him to take a close look at you. Behind his teary eyes was a thunderstorm of emotions. You could tell that he was fighting with himself.

The way you felt yourself exactly was hard to describe, but you could feel the butterflies in your belly unfold and flutter around and the warmth of a thousand springs arise in your chest, and his was enough for you to forgive.

You smiled at him and pulled your shoulders up. "You came back."

He took a deep breath. Then, he spoke for the first time.

"Are you willing to let me talk?"

"Huh?"

"I mean", he continued, "Will you listen to what I have to say?"

You looked at him surprisedly. "Of course I will."

"Then come with me."

Without any other word, he took your hand and pulled you along. By coincidence, the garden center where you worked at wasn't too far away from his house. You had never noticed it, since you had forgotten to check on their house ever since school had ended and you had started working part time.

He dragged you down the street, then around the corner into the quiet residential area.

When you arrived at their house, you noticed that it was still untidy from the outside, but a little bit of life had returned to the property. He swiftly unlocked the door and pulled you inside.

You were, admittedly, a bit short of breath, since Mr. Harket had kept a fast pace on your way here. As you were catching your breath, you looked around. The hallway was just like you remembered it, only it seemed a little... dead.

With a nod in the direction of the living room, Mr. Harket motioned you to follow him further. While walking, you examined your surroundings almost like the first time when you had been there. You recognized this place, but at the same time it seemed completely different. Cold.

You stopped at the sofa, where the two of you sat down. He never let go of your hand, the entire time.

When you focused your gaze back onto him, he took a deep breath. You tried to keep your expression as neutral as possible, so you wouldn't put him under pressure.