Chapter 19: Record Offer

Caras P.O.V

The sun is beating down on my face as I carry on in a steady pace while jogging. Papa Roach blares in my ears as I turn corners, following my typical path for whenever I jog. Taking deep breaths as my feet pound against the concrete, I let my mind start to wander. Today is the day- the charity concert. You might not know this, but the charity concert is a huge deal for Edmonton here.  It holds meaning to many of us- and definitely me. 

The charity concert is different every year- last year, it was for kids who don’t have the money to go to camps, the year before it was for the Good Will. This year, it’s for cancer patients. Such as my mother; and guess who just gets to play for it? Darkest Dreams. Me, myself, and my best friends playing in front of many, many people- all for cancer patients. Needless to say, I’m nervous.

My steady rhythm keeps my breathing going at a steady pace, huffing whenever my feet hit the ground. Turning corners, listening to my music, losing track of my thoughts. Turning another corner, I ran into something.- and not a soft something, a hard body.

“What the fuck! Watch where you’re going! Jesus!” I screamed at the person in the face.

Before the person could say anything, I ran off and didn’t look back one bit. Sighing as I run, I hear footsteps fall behind me. Panicking, I pick up my pace and turn the corner to my street before whoever was behind me caught up. Before I knew it, my arm was being yanked back, which caused me to stumble. I pulled my arm back, and turned on my heel.

What?!” I scream at the person. “What in the world do you want!”

“Cara… it’s just me…” 

I look up, seeing Ian’s face portraying hurt and a bit of, guilt, is it? “Oh, um, I’m sorry. I was just thinking… since, you know, it’s so early… that you were, uh, a pedophile.” I murmured quickly.

Smiling at my awkward apology, he hugged me. “It’s OK, I understand. Although, I don’t understand how you say it’s early. It’s, what? Eight in the morning?”

What? Eight in the morn- what? No. That’s not possible! I’ve been running for four hours? No, not possible! I’m supposed to be at the venue in a couple hours! Shit! 

“You better start getting ready!” Ian laughed, causing me to hold a confused look.

Wait, did I say that out loud?

“Yes, yes you did!”

Blushing, I gave a shy smile. “Oh, OK Curly!” I laughed when Ian also turned a shade of red.

Quickly turning, I sprinted down my street and to my house. Frantically opening the door, I dashed up the stairs, ignoring Jason’s questions. Stripping down to my bra and undergarments, I grabbed a towel for my body and a towel for my hair. Stripping out of my garments, I turned on the shower and automatically jumped from the coolness. 

Shivering, I slowly walk into the shower that is slowly warming and lather my hair so it squeaks and  start to shave my under arms and legs- but only up to the knees. After shaving, I wash my body once more, then step out into the cold air. Grabbing the smaller towel, I wrap it around my head allowing it to semi-dry. After, I grab a brush and run it through my hair.

Grabbing my tooth brush, I hastily put some Crest toothpaste on it and rub it against my teeth, spitting after a few minutes. Wrapping my body in the bigger towel, I speed walk to my room and lock the door. Searching through my closet, I find a neon yellow shirt with a set of lips on it, with a pink and lime green stripe on it, and decide to wear it. After getting my bra and underwear on, I rummage through my dresser and find a set  of black studded shorts, and pulled on my red high tops.