Chapter 14

I was devastated by the news. 1,029 miles apart. That kept repeating through my mind.

"We have the families number if you'd like to call them, dear," Ma'dam Igness told me.

"Yes, very much, please!" I begged. She didn't hesitate to give me their number.

"Thank you so much!" I told her after I had written down the number.

"No problem, and I wish you best of luck to finding your brother," She said. I could just feel her smiling through the phone.

I hung up.

Her giving me luck made me feel like I had a better chance. My smile was bigger, and my thoughts more optimistic.

I'm closer than 1,029 miles away from him.

He has always been in my heart, so in reality, we were maybe a few inches apart.

I dialled the number that the lady at the foster center had given me.

Riiinnnggg

The phone was trying to reach Omaha, Nebraska.

Riiinnnggg

"Hello?" I heard the voice of a kind sounding lady on the other line.

"Hi, is...is Jasper there?" I asked. I wasn't quite sure how to approach this. I didn't want to tell her I'm his sister.

"Yes, he is! One second please," I heard her set the phone down.

"Jasperrr!!!" I could hear her call in the background.

I waited a while. It was worth the wait though, so I could hear his angel like voice again.

"Hello?" I heard him on the other line. I froze a bit. His voice was deeper that's for sure.

"Jassy?" I whispered a bit.

"Wh- who are you? How do you know my old name?" He asked seeming a bit worried.

"D-do you remember Avery?" I asked hoping and praying he remembers me.

"Of course I do, that's my sister! Who the fuck is this?" He said seeming to get frustrated with me.

"Jass, It's Avery."

"WHAT! AVERY! W-where are you!! I thought I'd never-"

I had to cut him off, "Do you really believe that I wouldn't try to find you?" I laughed a bit.

"No, I thought eventually you would..." He laughed too, "So much has changed since...years ago.." He sighed.

"You wouldn't believe what's happened here.." I sighed like he had.

"Avery? I want to go home," Jasper pleaded.

"I'm coming to get you as soon as possible, okay?" I tried to reassure him.

I heard a slight sob from the other side, "No, Avery, I want to stay with you! I don't want to see mom or dad. I don't want to stay in Nebraska," He cried.

"I know, and I won't let anything happen to you again, got it, now tell me the address," He told me the address and we hung up.

It seemed like an eternity since I have heard him talk, not just a few years.

I walked over to the hotel window and watched out the parking lot waiting for Harry to come back.

I hope Jasper will like Harry. I really do.

I hope we can be a family.

I hope, I hope, I hope, I need to stop saying this. I really do! It's not good for me to hope and hope, I need to believe that he'll like Harry. I need to believe that I'll see him.