Chapter 1

It was early in the morning and I heard a glass-breaking scream. It startled me. I flinched in my sleep and woke up abruptly.

"Avery!!!" My mom was shouting. I thought her lungs were to burst with her screeching. I quickly climbed out of bed and ran down the staircase to my mothers side. It was maybe 9 in the morning. I didn't have time to check the clock.

"Mom!" I screamed once I finally found out why she was shrieking. There was blood all over. It terrified me.

"Mom! What happened?" I tried to say calmly but it came out really shaky. I was running to go get some kind of cloth to put over her wound on her stomach that was gushing blood. She was just sitting on the floor of the kitchen her hand over her stomach. Her hands were covered in blood, and so was her floral dress.

I couldn't find a cloth so I just grabbed my sweater off the couch and gave it to her. I looked into her blue eyes and told her everything would be okay. I quickly got up and dialled 911.

"911 what service are you in need of today?" asked a lady on the other line.

"Ambulance fast please!" I stuttered out.

"They're on their way, hang tight, and tell me what happened."

"My mom got stabbed by someone and she's bleeding all over," I cried.

"Listen. Tell her to breath in and out slowly and they'll be there shortly, okay, hun?"

"Okay.." I stuttered again. The lady hung up and I just dropped the home phone so I could get to my mother faster.

"In, out, in, out," I repeatedly told my mom. I looked at her. She resembled me quite a bit. She had neat little ringlets of  blonde hair that was short and mine was very long and curly like hers but messy and brown like my abusive father's, and she had blue eyes that were very bright, mine are dull. She has a beautiful face unlike mine. Her lashes are long and she has a penis shaped nose...like mine.

I broke the silence of her just breathing in and out as I had instructed her, "Mom? What the hell happened?"

"Your dad paid a visit.." She tried to smile. Oh god, not my drunken and abusive father.

My mom was in love with him when she was 18, and he was 23. Then I came along accidentally. My mom fought to keep me, while my father despised me. They had gotten married when she was 17. She was young and in love...or so she thought. They got a divorce after they couldn't agree to keep me or not. I stayed with my mother since she wanted me. She's 36 now and I'm 18. My father's 41 and is always drunk. He's very abusive, too. I've lost count of how many times me and my mother have had to go to the hospital because of him. I love my mom and she's all I have over here in America.

"Mom? He stabbed you?" I finally questioned her. She looked up a me through her bright blue gaze and nodded slowly.

"We need to move away from this town...away from him. I'm sorry if I'm taking you away from your friends, but this is for the -"

I cut her off, "Mom, I have no friends, it's my last year here, too. I understand if we have to move, I understand that -"

Then I was cut by ambulance sirens.

They paramedics burst through the front door with a gurney for my mom. They carefully picked her up and strategically placed her on it.

"Are you her daughter?" One of the paramedics asked.

"Y- yes."

"Come with us, we'll take you along. what's your name dear?" He asked.

"Avery. My mom's name is Whitney." I told him.