Chapter 24 - Nightmare

"Alexander Brantley, son of the late famed Xavier Brantley was arrested yesterday, following the murder of a 17 year old girl in September. Now, Mr. Brantley was the prime suspect in the case when the body was found, however police had no evidence to support their accusation- that is, until early this morning. An anonymous call was made, informing the Chief of Police (Matt Gabriel) about the where-abouts of the murder weapon."

"He didn't do it." I mumble as my mom massages my shoulders, comfortingly.

"I know, honey." We watch the television screen intently, but the words coming out of the reporter's mouths are flying over my head.

I don't care what they say, I just want Alexander to be alright. 

"I have to go." I sigh and grab my purse. "I'm meeting Brendan to give him this money, and then I'm heading to the Brantley's place to check on Alexander's mother."

"Oh, sweetie. I forgot to mention, there are muffins on the counter. I want you to take them to that poor woman. I'm sure she needs all the support she can get." 

"Sure." I smirk and grab the basket.

Her son's in jail, mom. But I'm sure support-muffins will fix all of her problems.

I toss the door open, surprised to see Aaron and Melody approaching my house hand in hand.

"Yo, Blue." Aaron calls. "We were just stopping by. You leaving?"

I close the door awkwardly behind me and shoot them a puzzled look. "I didn't know you two were a thing."

"Yeah, well." Aaron shrugs. "We ran into each other last night."

"He's a babe." Melody winks a freckle filled smile at me. 

"Right." I purse my lips awkwardly. "Well, I'm going to meet Brendan. Give him this cash."

"Oh, Layla." Melody reaches for my arm as I pass by. "I'm so sorry about Alexander. Total bummer."

"Yeah, well. He's got his own cell, his own shower. I guess it pays to be a billionaire." I shrug. 

"Well you might want to watch your back." Melody pulls herself against Aaron's side. "Meyers is outraged."

Praise the lord!

"She can suck a fat one." I smirk politely. 

"Oh, honey." Melody giggles. "I'm sure she's way ahead of you on that."

I grin and pass by them, slipping into the front seat of my car and starting the engine. I can't help but peek at them in the reflection of my mirror. 

Since when in the hell did Melody and Aaron know each other?

I knock gently on the front door of Brendan's house. The entire place is shaded by that canopy of branches above me. 

"Oh, Layla." I hear a familiar voice as Dave answers the door. 

"Hi." I work up a gentle smile. He looks stressed and his hair has definitely thinned out since the last time I saw him. "Is Brendan here?"

His jaw tightens, but he steps back and lets me inside. The house looks completely different. All of the boxes are gone, and furniture fills the gaps, making the place look a lot smaller.

Mrs. Jones and Dave exchange a glance as I pass by them, making my way down the small hall. 

"Brendan." I call as I knock on the door.