Chapter 38 - Protection

"When it first happened, I was taken to a room. I have no idea where it was- I was blindfolded on the way there." Alexander starts. I had paid off the Warden to allow us time in the same room. Alexander sits across the table from me, our hands tied tightly together. The room is small, dark and empty aside from the two of us. I'm assuming it's an interrogation room.

"I'm worried that by telling you all of this, I'm opening the gates of hell."

"I need you to open them." I squeeze his hand. "It's the only way I can get inside."

He breathes out through his nose, his legs bouncing uncomfortably under the table. "She was sitting across from me when they took the blind fold off."

"She as in..?"

"Anonymous."

There's a sudden lack of oxygen flowing through my veins. I bite my tongue, so he may continue.

"She wears a mask--"

"The porcelain mask?" I interrupt.

"No." He squeezes my fingers, his face dripping desperation. "I can't Layla. If I keep going, god knows what they'll do to you."

He laces his fingers between mine and lifts my hand to his lips.

"I know what they're capable of." He breathes against my skin. He's broken again. "I can't let you do this."

I sigh and stand up, pulling on his hand. He stays where he's seated and yanks me close to him. My arms fall around his neck, and I rests my forehead against his. One glance into his liquid blue eyes, and all of my problems seem to disappear.

"I'm gonna get you out of here." I breath against his lips, and a sexy smirk stretches across his face. 

"You have to promise to be there when I do get out." He mumbles. "If you're not, then I have nothing worth going home to."

"I'll be fine." I grin and peck him on the lips. "I'm just doing a bit of research."

"Ma'am. Times up." The heavy metal door flies open, bathing us in light. Alexander lets out an exasperated sigh.

"Bye, Princess." He whispers, planting a soft kiss on my nose.

"Mom!" I call, setting my keys down on the counter. "I'm home."

I haven't seen her in days, and I'm not too pumped about the nagging I'm sure to get.

"Layla." I look up to a familiar face, his grey hair thinning even more than I remember. I freeze as I see him. It's been months since I've heard so much as a word from my dad. Now all of the sudden he's standing in front of me.

"Pack your things, we're leaving."

"W-what?" I spit. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Yes you are. I don't trust this town anymore."

"What?" I bark, shrugging off the hand he's placed on my shoulder. "Dad, you leave me and mom for months, then you think you have the right to come back here and take me away? Fuck that!"

"Layla, watch your mouth." He hisses, but I shrug him off.

"I'm not going, dad. My life is here."

"Your life won't last here, Layla!" He grabs me by the hand. He's inches away from my face, his bloodshot eyes red and baggy, and his breath wreaks of alcohol.

"Mom!" I look up to her for help, but she only stares back with an overwhelming look of guilt on her face.

"Your mother agrees with me."