Chapter 39 - Psycho in the Box

"I swear it's not mine." Erica blurts, staring down at the grainy ultrasound in her hands. "Aaron and I used a cond..uhhh-" She freezes. "I mean- um--"

"You and Aaron had sex!" I shout. "When the fuck did this happen?"

"I dunno." She mumbles, awkwardly tapping her acrylic nails against her pink cheeks. "Like uhm.. Yesterday. And the day before. And if you're counting mornings, then- also today."

I'm baffled.

Miles is smirking wildly, a glowing pride on his face. I'm sure if Aaron were here, they'd dick around about it.

"Where is Aaron anyways? I haven't heard from him."

"He's uh.." She seems hesitant. "He's seeing a physical therapist."

"So, what's with you two?" I eye her curiously. "When did this little fling start?"

"What about you?" She changes the subject. "You did use protection with Brantley, didn't you?"

"I uh.."

Miles stares at me wide-eyed. "Layla..-"

"It's a long story." I bark. "But even if we didn't, how could they have possibly done an ultrasound on me without my knowledge? Besides.. it's way too early. It's only been a couple of weeks."

"So, if it's not yours, and it's not mine, then who's is it?"

"I don't know." I bite my lip. "Maybe Anonymous is just fucking with us."

We pull up to the gate in Erica's slick green convertible. The place looks nice— not nearly as flashy as most of WestWoods, but still better than the crap-hole I live in.

"Just let me handle this." Erica smirks as we slowly pull up to the speaker box.

She reaches out with a long red nail and taps a small button. It buzzes loudly. 

"Welcome to Greenwalk Community, how can I help you?" A young male voice buzzes through. Erica looks relieved.

"Hey handsome!" She cheers into the microphone. "Think you can help me out a bit? I left my card at home, and these darn gates just won't open for me!"

"Sorry, ma'am. I can't let anyone in who doesn't have a membership card." His voice crackles through the speakers. 

"Well, that's just a shame." She cries cutely. "I was really liking this voice of yours— I'd really love to see the face it belongs to."

I'm rolling my eyes at how horribly fake she sounds. But none-the-less, the gates swing open, welcoming us to the small village of moderately sized houses.

"Look for a silver Avalon." Erica announces as we drive by houses at walking-speed.

"What the shit is an Avalon?"

"A car, Layla. Look for a fucking car." She rolls her eyes in my direction, but I shrug off the attitude.

"There it is!" Miles points to a perfectly trimmed row of bushes. Next to it is parked a silver luxury car— An Avalon I guess? I don't freakin' know. 

"You said she wouldn't be home."

"She's not. That's her mom's car."

"Wait." Panic has surfaced on Miles' face. "We're breaking into her house, and her parents are there?"

Erica rolls her eyes. "They're ancient. They won't hear a peep."

We pull up next to the bushes, and creep out of the car. Miles jumps out over the door and rushes to help me as I try to do the same.