5: Late

John's POV 

I was killing time by playing SlappyPigs on my phone. Sera stood next to me, playing on her phone as well. I tapped her on the shoulder, shoving my phone into her face. "Look!" I gave her a big grin. "I finally beat your high score! 287! Suck it!" 

Sera smirked. "Pretty good, but... not good enough!" She held out her phone so I could see her screen. 

My mouth fell open. "What?! 355? How?" With a frustrated groan, I gave her a glare. "Did you use your ability again?" When she shrugged, I shook my head. "Ugh, whatever. I'll beat you someday."

"Keep dreaming." Seraphina smiled. "You'll never beat me at this game."

With a huff, I glanced toward the sky. "It's getting pretty late," I commented as I watched the sun starting to set. "It's... already 5 o'clock?!?! Where's Stephanie?"

"Hmmm," Sera frowned. "Maybe something happened to her? I don't think she's the type to ditch."

I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach. "I'll go look for her. You stay here in case she comes here." When Seraphina nodded, I headed out.

'Where could she have gone?' I thought as I jogged around the school. 'I already checked the inside of the school, so she must be out here somewhere.' I screeched to a stop as I turned a corner. I let out a gasp when I saw the figure of a girl collapsed on the ground.

"S-Stephanie?" I kneeled down next to her. "What happened?" Realizing she was unconscious, I grabbed my phone and texted Sera. 

***

Seraphina's POV

My phone buzzed in my hand, and I saw I had gotten a text message from John. 'What?' I thought as I checked it. 'He found her, but she's hurt and unconscious?' I rushed toward the location John texted me to go to.

"John!" I called as I turned the corner. His head snapped up, relief filling his eyes as he caught sight of me. I stiffened when I saw Stephanie. My new friend lay on the ground, blood dripping from her mouth and staining her shirt. I narrowed my eyes. "Who did this to her?" I asked John.

"I don't know." John replied, worried. "She was like this when I got here!" He put one of Stephanie's arms around his neck, trying to pull her up. She didn't stir as he jostled her. "We need to take her to Doc."

I shook my head. "Doc already left. Let's just get her to my dorm. I can get Elaine to heal her." When he nodded, I swung Stephanie's other arm around my neck, supporting her. "Come on, this way." I started to guide John to the girls' dorms, growing increasingly worried for Stephanie."