14: First Impression

Seraphina's POV

I opened the door, regretting it immediately when a tall male with wavy blonde hair poked his head inside. "Arlo." I groaned.

Arlo smiled, trying to flatter me. "Wow, you look beautiful toda-"

"No." I said firmly, starting to close the door.

"Wait." I crossed my arms as Arlo pushed the door back open. "At least hear me out."

"Go on, then."

He continued. "We were challenged to a Turf war, and it starts 6 hours from now. But we're down a member, so I need you to substitute in for Queen."

I started to close the door again. "I'm not interested in Tuft Wars. Bye."

"Serious?!" Arlo exclaimed. "Seraphina, I know it's boring for you, but as Wellston's true queen, it's you responsibility. I've been running the show for you until now, but today I need a Queen."

"Where's Remi?" I frowned. "Why isn't she going?"

"She had to go home for the week. Family emergency." Arlo replied. As I thought about it, he smirked. "Don't worry. You won't need to fight those weaklings. The Jack and I will take care of everything."

Suddenly, Stephanie stepped up next to me. "What's going on?" She asked me as she stared up at Arlo. "Is this guy bothering you?" 

Arlo stared down at the bluenette. "Who's this? Why's she in your room?"

"She's a friend of mine." I replied. "Her name is Stephanie." 

"So," Stephanie asked again. "What's going on?"

"You're not included in this conversation." Arlo growled. "Low-tier."

I glanced over at Stephanie. Wordlessly, she gave her head a little shake. Clearly she didn't want me to reveal her ability level to Arlo. I said, "Actually, she is." I smiled. "I'll go to the Turf War, Arlo. But on one condition. Stephanie comes with me."

"What?" Arlo and Stephanie both exclaimed. "Why?"

"You can keep me company." I smiled at Stephanie. "Please?"

"Well, you better explain everything to me after this, but if you want me to come along, I'll go with you." Stephanie returned the smile warmly.

"Great!" I turned back to Arlo, who seemed like he was thinking hard. "Well?"

"Fine." He decided. "But she had better not cause trouble."

"Hmph," Stephanie grumbled. "We've just met, and already I can tell you're an a$$hole."

As I broke into laughter, Arlo glowered at her. "Excuse me, what was that?"

"Nothing." She stuck out her tongue, not seeming to be bothered by the angry King. "And you're not part of this conversation." She mimicked.

Before Arlo could do anything, I pushed him out the door, and closed it. "We'll meet you at the train station later." After the door was firmly shut, Steph and I both broke into laughter. 

Stephanie grinned at me. "Seriously, who's that guy, Arlo? He looked really bossy and arrogant."

"Oh, you know," I grinned back. "He's just the King of Wellston." 

"What?!" Stephanie gasped. "I didn't know!"

I chuckled. "I'll explain everything about Turf Wars to you."

***

Arlo's POV

As I walked out of Seraphina's room, I was deep in thought. I had thought carefully about my decision to let Stephanie join us. 'If she comes to Turf Wars today,' I thought. 'I'll get more chances to observe her. And find out what was troubling the Headmaster and Mr. Keene."

I had heard the two talking about Stephanie before. They had mentioned something strange and dangerous about her ability. But they had mentioned that her ability hadn't manifested yet. But I was confused, because she seemed to have an ability. 'I'll get to the bottom of this...' I decided.

"Um, Arlo?" I turned my head to see Elaine peeking out from the kitchen. "Do you want anything to drink?"

I shook my head. "I'm fine. I'm leaving now." I headed into the hallway, pausing. "See you at the train station in a few hours."

"Uhhh," Elaine squeaked. "Of course!"

With that, I headed to my own dorm for a brief rest.