27: After the Suspension

Stephanie's POV

The bullying got significantly worse after word spread about Sera's suspension. As I walked down the hallway, I was often shoved into the lockers, and a punch or two was thrown at me by people I had never seen before. I came back to my house everyday with bruises, cuts, and sometimes worse. Blyke tried really hard to protect me from all the bullying, but of course, he couldn't defend me always.

But John had it way worse than me. Now that Seraphina had gone, everyone was going after the school cripple. I was with him most of the time, trying to protect him from all the bullies to the best of my ability without revealing that I was a not a low tier. But I couldn't go with him everywhere, and I cringed every time I noticed a new bruise or cut. He said he was fine, but honestly, who would believe him?

The only thing that kept him from breaking down, I think, was me and Seraphina. We still hung out at the roof during lunch, playing games and texting Sera. Sera seemed to me doing alright at her house, except that she mentioned that her mother was mad at her. She had actually found a new game for us to try, called Angry Pigs. I thought it was a cool game, and John was also hooked.

But one day, he seemed really angry, and wore an extremely hostile expression on his face, which lessened in intensity when he saw me waiting for him. "What's wrong?" I asked, frowning at his fresh bandages. "Is the bullying getting to you?"

"Nah, I'm just... frustrated." John grumbled. "A guy with purple hair and a girl with long maroon hair just came out of nowhere and broke my phone! Now I can't text Sera anymore!"

"That's unfortunate." I sympathized. "But you'll still be able to talk to her on your laptop." I patted his back. "Come on, let's go play a round of Angry Pigs!" I said eagerly, and John laughed. 

'I hope John is alright...' I thought worriedly as I laughed along with him on the outside. 'Sera, please come back, soon.'