46: Is Someone There?

Arlo's POV

The bell signaling the beginning of lunch had rung ten minutes ago, but I had just left my classroom. I had been helping the teacher with something, so I was later than usual. Better head to lunch. I thought, walking down the empty hallway toward the cafeteria.

Then when I turned a corner, I spotted a certain blue-haired girl walking towards me. Elaine. She was clutching a book in her arms, holding it close to her chest. She seemed to be deep in thought. When she lifted her head, she spotted me, and our eyes met for a second. I waited for her to acknowledge me.

However, she bit her lip, turned away from me slightly, and walked faster. What's up with her? I thought. Don't tell me... "Elaine." I called her name just as she tried to pass me.

"EEK!" she let out a cry, freezing in place (right next to me).

"What's with the cold shoulder?" I questioned her, examining her face carefully.

"S-sorry, I didn't see you there..." she trailed off, obviously lying.

I scoffed. "Didn't see me? We clearly made eye contact. Is everything okay?"

"I just have a lot of things on my mind." she replied nervously. "A-anyways, I'm off to lunch, so I'll see you later!" She started to walk past me again.

"Wait." My arm shot out from my side, grabbing her by the shoulder. My eyes narrowed, I inspected her after turning her towards me. "What you saw the other day... you didn't let it slip, did you?"

"What? No!" she said, a light blush coming to her cheeks as she stared at me. "I would never!"

"Then why are you acting so restless?" I demanded.

Elaine's eyes widened, and she pulled away from me, letting out a yelp as she tripped over her foot, and started to fall backwards. This girl... I sighed mentally as I caught her arm in a firm hold to stop her from falling over. "Don't bother hiding it." I pressed as she dropped her book. "Tell me what's going on."

She looked at me, looking frightened. "I, uh..." She fell quiet, avoiding my eyes. "John." She spoke suddenly, and my eyes widened as I heard the name. "He's the one who injured you before, wasn't it?"

"How did you find out?" I spoke, a hundred thoughts running through my head. 

"I pieced things together when Seraphina called me to heal John." She shuddered, wrapping her arms around herself. "But John... he saw through me and?"

"And what?" My voice rose the tiniest bit. What did the b*stard do to her?

"T-The way he looked at me..." Elaine's voice shook. "His glare- it was so malicious. I just... was afraid... for my life."

I frowned. He can have that effect when he's mad. "It's okay. As long as you keep his secret, you'll be safe. So just pretend you didn't see anything."

"Is... that what you're doing, Arlo? Are you afraid, too?" The question caught me off guard. I allowed a split second of doubt into my head. Am I...?

Then I heard a small shuffling sound by the corner of the hall. I narrowed my eyes. Was someone... there?

SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER IT'S SUMMER BREAK I NEED TIME TO UNWIND AFADFSKJSLJLKGJSK