Chapter 5 - Mislead

"You look beautiful babygirl" Joel mumbles as he kisses my shoulder.

I smile at him in the mirror, his eyes trail over the dress that Maria found for me. It's a beautiful ankle length dress with a plunging neckline.

It's a little tight on me so it shows off my figure extremely well, and not to brag, but even though my boobs are pretty small, I have a nice and toned body.

Then again, when you were on the run for a year straight I'm pretty sure anyone would have a great figure.

"Thank you, handsome" I smile, I turn around and fix the black tie on Joel's suit.

Tommy gave him this suit, everyone here seems to have a huge closet of clothes, Joel and I only have a handful of shirts and jeans.

Since we made it to Tommy's town everyone knows that I was bitten but that I'll never get infected. Some were extremely wary of me at first, but after being here for 3 months and I haven't shown any signs of changing.

"Ready to get our party on?" I ask, Joel, rolls his eyes playfully but then cracks a smile "Let's just get this night over with."

Joel is antisocial so if there is a party Joel always tries to get out of it, but it's really nice to get out and have a nice evening and to talk to all of my friends that I barely talk to.

It's nice to spend time with Joel, but I really do spend all of my time with him, I talk to my friends very rarely.

Joel takes my hand and leads us out the door before turning around and locking it, we walk hand and hand to the rec center, but as soon as we walk in we drop hands.

The music isn't too loud just because there's no one on security duty, but the perimeter is locked up tight.

"Joel!!" I hear someone squeal, I turn to see an older woman, maybe a couple of years younger than Joel.

She has blonde hair and blue eyes, not to mention wrinkles all over her face. She's wearing a sparkly blue dress that has no back.

"I didn't think you'd make it," she says with a huge smile, she rests a hand on his shoulder and I watch as his jaw tightens.

"Ellie forced me out of the house," he says with a chuckle as he looks at me.

Her smile falters as she turns to me before forcing it back onto her face.

"Oh, so this is Ellie. It's nice to meet you, I'm Jenna" she extends her hand out to me, I reach out and shake her hand.

Her bony hand tries to crush mine as she shakes my hand, hard.

I let go and take a step closer to Joel, I smile fakely and rub my hand.

"Nice to meet you, Jenna," I say.

I see Dillan from across the room so I start to walk over to him, "I'm gonna go say hi to my friends, I'll find my way back to you later" I say to Joel with a small wave.

I walk over to Dillan and my other friend Laney, "Hey guys" I smile.

"Hey, Ellie girl," they both say, I ignore the nickname that I hate so much and take the cup of punch that Laney hands to me.

I take a sip and refrain from spitting it out, it's basically water with a little bit of flavoring in it.

"I know the punch is bad, but we ran out of punch mix," Laney says with a shrug.

Laney reaches over and grabs another cup for herself.

We end up talking for a long time before I see Joel standing in the corner drinking a cup.