Chapter 16 - Beloved

Flynn stayed with me for a long time last night, I feel like he knows that he won't be living for much longer, and I don't know why he would just accept that, especially over someone that he doesn't even really know.

We've spent maybe two weeks together, I've learned a little about him and same with me but not enough to sacrifice my life for him.

He left at about 12 in the morning this morning, and he went back to his house, I guess his parents don't particularly care about what he does with his spare time.

I pace around my cell slightly nervous for the escape tonight, but I'm also excited, after weeks I get to see Joel, in just a couple of days.

I wonder what the town thinks of my disappearance, I wonder what lies Joel told them, I know he wouldn't tell them the truth since he hasn't been doing that much recently.

My thoughts are halted when there's a loud bang at the door of my prison, I look at the door and see it bang open.

The guards bring in a large looking man with a sack over his head, well they're actually dragging him in but that's beside the point.

"We brought you a friend" they smirk, they unlock my cell and throw this stranger inside with me, I take a step away from him somewhat afraid.

"Play nice, he's a killer" they wink a leave my prison laughing loudly, my heart beats rapidly and I press myself against the wall trying to get as far away from him as I can.

It takes the man a few moments to relax before he slowly pulls off the sack, his hair is somewhat a familiar color to me, if not greyer, then when I recognize those beautiful hazel eyes my heart completely stops beating.

The love of my life, the only man that I've loved, and the only one that I will love is standing in front of me.

His shirt is soaked with blood above his right shoulder, and he has a knot on his forehead that's already purple.

He has deep bags under his eyes, he looks like an absolute wreck, but besides this, he still smiles at my presence.

"Joel?" I say breathless, my mind doesn't register anything before my body runs at him and wraps myself around him.

I shove my head into the crook off his neck and breathe in his familiar scent, and immediately my body is calm.

We don't say anything as we both hug each other as our life depends on it.

Eventually, he pulls back and tilts my chin up, he presses a loving kiss to my lips that has my stomach doing little flips.

We both pull away from each other and just stare, "Hi" I eventually say, he lets out a chuckle and rubs my cheek soothingly with his thumb, "Hi, baby girl" he whispers.

He kisses me again and again and I hum approvingly.

"I'm sorry," he says against my mouth, that stops me in my tracks as I remember what he did.

I pull away from him and hold him at arm's length, he frowns slightly but doesn't say anything.

"It took me a while to understand why you would do what you did, but I know now," I say with a slight nod.

"It's not something I would ever do, or could even think about doing. But I know that you only did it because you believed that you were protecting me."

He opens his mouth to say something but I stop him, "Let me finish" I say, he closes his mouth and nods.

"I don't know if I will ever be able to forgive you, but I am willing to look past it. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, hell I don't know what anyone would do, I can't hold you accountable for that."

I let out a sigh, "But I love you, and I can't live without you, so I'm willing to not talk about it and overlook it if you truly understand what you did was wrong and truthfully apologize for it" I say.

He smiles a little bit and leans down and kisses my forehead.

"I spent weeks only able to reflect on my actions, I've been stuck in my thoughts for so long thinking about what I've done," he says, he wraps his arms back around me and hugs me tightly.

"I love you, Ellie. I would never do anything to intentionally hurt you, and I want you to know that. I deeply am sorry for what I've done, I don't ever want to lose you over anything ever again."

I lean up and kiss him briefly, I pull back and rest my forehead against his, "I will never leave you again, I'll be with you through thick and thin" I say.

He cups my cheek sweetly, "Is that a promise?" he asks.

I grin and peck his lips, "It's a promise."