Chapter 7 - Bound

It's a short walk to the car Joel and I drove in to get here, I check all around the car making sure that no one's in there, the only thing left is the old gown that the hospital gave me and some wrappers from crackers that we had.

I open the rear car door and slide in, I use the nightgown as a cover and my bookbag as my pillow and I start to fall asleep but my thoughts run rapid throughout my mind.

How could everything spiral out of control like this? I thought that Joel had my back, and I trusted him enough to not lie to me, but apparently, I was wrong.

I sigh out in frustration and turn over to get more comfortable. After what felt like hours I finally fell asleep, although not comfortably.

The sunrise wakes me up and I find myself reaching over for Joel but I find no one beside me. My eyes open to find that I'm in a car and not my warm bed, and I'm all alone.

I huff out of frustration, before sitting up and grabbing all of my stuff and then opening the car door and start my adventure to... I have no clue.

I guess I could go all the way back to the hospital with all of the fireflies to try and figure out what for sure happened, and if there were any survivors.

It's about a 5-6 day walk but if it gets me answers then it's worth it.

I've been walking for a couple of hours before I realize how tired I am, it's probably only 12 in the afternoon, but I really want to go back to sleep.

And it's not fun, because I'm by myself. Joel and I will usually find something fun to talk about, or we'll play I spy but I can't do that, I'm really all alone.

I find myself humming "Can't help falling in love with you" while I walk along the side of the road.

"Wise men say, only fools rush in" I sign quietly, "but I can't help, falling in love..." I trail off as I hear a rustling to my right, I stop moving and slowly pull my gun out of my waistband.

"We got her!" someone yells, I freeze and hold out my gun ready to shoot anyone coming near me.

But nothing happens except the sound of running going in the other direction, I hear a girl scream and my heart falters.

I bet its a group of hunters attacking an innocent girl for what she's got... or something worse, and I've been in that situation before, so I need to help.

I run in that direction careful to not step on any branches, I come close to where all the screaming is and I find four hunters grabbing at some girl.

"Fuck" I mutter, I could easily take out two while Joel takes the other two, but sadly I'm on my own.

They're all preoccupied with the girl, two of them don't even have their weapons on them. I pull out my switchblade in my other hand and I shoot both armed men in the head before I run up behind one of the unarmed men and I slit his throat.

The last one standing scrambles for his weapon but I hold up my pistol and he freezes.

"Drop your weapon, slide it over, and get on your knees" I command.

The man hesitates so I step closer to him and aim the gun at his head, "I said; drop your weapon!" I yell.

The man finally drops his weapon and starts to kick it over to me, but the girl kicks the man in his side his side making him fall onto the ground and she shoots him with own weapon.

The breath is knocked out of me and I look up at her in shock, she stands there still holding the gun as she pants.

Judging by her face, this is her first time shooting someone and killing someone.

She finally looks up at me and I notice that she's someone who lives in Tommy's little town, I think she's friends with Joel, her name is Becca.

"Ellie?" she asks astonished, I reach down and grab one of the hunters' handguns and I tuck it into my jeans.

"Why are you outside?" she asks, "I could ask you the same thing" I counter.

Becca stands up straight and her jaw clenches as if she's frustrated, "Fair enough" she says.

She tucks the other guys' weapon into her shorts as well, and she looks around "Infected will be here soon enough, thank you for helping me" she says.

"I didn't see you, you didn't see me?" she asks, I nod with a small smirk.

"Great, see you at dinner," she says and runs off into a random direction, "You won't" I mutter under my breath.

I walk back out of the forest and back onto the road that I was walking down originally except I walk at a faster pace.

All the Infected in the area for sure heard those gunshots and now they're on their way, not to mention when that girl sees Joel looking for me she'll probably tell him where I am so I start running toward Salt Lake City.